• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 lapua brass and Lee collet neck die

springer01

Minuteman
Dec 27, 2005
Brownfield, Texas
I just purchased some new .308 lapua brass I was going to run it through my Lee collet neck sizer because some of the cases are dinged around the case mouth. As I started I noticed when the case hits the decap mandrel it sticks and gets rough, some very bad I even smashed the neck of one then I stopped. Any suggestions as to what to do or why this is happening.

Thanks
Tanner

Re: .308 lapua brass and Lee collet neck die

Yes...get a K&M expander and run them over it first.Saves brass, which ain't cheap these days. JMHO

ok.. sound like thats what I need to do. Im guessing the decapper mandrel is more for a fired round so there is no taper to it causing the new unfired case to stick like it is.

Thanks
Tanner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok.. sound like thats what I need to do. Im guessing the decapper mandrel is more for a fired round so there is no taper to it causing the new unfired case to stick like it is.</div></div>

It's sticky because Lapua brass has annealed necks. Use a dry lube after brushing the neck, I use an Iosso brush to get the surface patina off and Imperial Dry Neck Lube with a Sinclair expander body and mandrel. Used to use a Lee Collet die and had the same problems. Brushing and dry lube solved them.