• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Lapua Small Primer Brass - Loads?

RMB

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2019
I was running low on 308 brass and found 300 pieces of new Lapua brass with Small Rifle Primer Pockets.....so my question is how does the small primer affect the load? Do I need to do a complete work up? Or, can I just clone the load I have and use the small primers?

My current load is:
REM 700 SA with 1:10 24" barrel
Hornady Brass (Large Primer) - These are on the 6th firing........
Federal 210 Primers
44.5 GR BLC-2
168 GR SMK
2663 FPS (Average)
SD of 12.1

I am kind of pressed for time....as I am leaving on Tuesday next week for South Dakota for two days of shooting.

Thanks in Advance for any help/advice.

Lapua is thicker brass, less case capacity.
You will need to re-develop the powder load, neck tension, shoulder bump, bullet seating depth, etc.
The payoff is more consistent loads!
If you’re in a hurry, you could just accept full length sizing and seating to SAAMI length. It wouldn’t be as fine tuned, but no worse than commercial loads.
Regardless, I would advise against assuming you can just use the same powder charge as with your Hornady brass.

Hornady makes 3 different 308 cases. The cases they sell as reloading components are thinner and lighter than Lapua. Some of the cases used in their loaded ammo are equal or much heavier than Lapua. So it depends.

I thought that this was the case.....with all the input.....I will have to hold off as I don't have the time to work up a load. I am going back out in June so I should have the time do do it right. For now I will take the 150 rounds I have loaded with the Hornady brass.

Thanks!