• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308/learning/training/barrels etc

bfk4lyfe

Minuteman
Jul 1, 2010
CA and NV
I’m relatively new to this game but I bought once and cried once when I bought my AI AT. It came with the standard 24” 1:12 non threaded barrel, it’s pretty accurate, during my first 200 rounds through it I did a 5x5 with an average of .5 MOA.

Then I started reading and realized I “needed” a 6.5cm barrel since 308 was so useless and fell out of the sky at 600 yards. Sarcasm obviously.

Now after reading here and listening to the podcast religiously, I realize I should have stuck with the 308 to learn.

Do you think it would benefit me more to go back to my stock 308 barrel, buy another aftermarket barrel that’s threaded with a 1:10 twist rate, or just burn out my 65cm barrel and revisit it when I need a new barrel?

I don’t shoot comps now but I’d like to so that is probably the ultimate goal, steel silhouette and prs type matches.

Last edited:
There is an old Indian trick for determining if you have the right barrel.

Aim at target

Shoot

If you hit the target, barrel is good.

Shoot until barrel is worn out. Change.

6.5 is a good round. save the money and switch after you shoot it out

I bought an AT in .308 to practice and be able to purchase quality ammo for a little less than $1 a round. Since then I've had a .260 and a 6mm CM barrel made for it.

If cost savings is a priority, I would stick to your stock .308 barrel as a trainer/close range practice barrel, especially if you already have .308 ammo on hand. Shoot the 6.5 at distance and at matches.

If money is not a real issue, nothing wrong with sticking with 6.5cm and having an extra 6.5 barrel spun up when you finally shoot out that barrel. Maybe sell the stock barrel to help cover costs?

I’m relatively new to this game but I bought once and cried once when I bought my AI AT. It came with the standard 24” 1:12 non threaded barrel, it’s pretty accurate, during my first 200 rounds through it I did a 5x5 with an average of .5 MOA.

Then I started reading and realized I “needed” a 6.5cm barrel since 308 was so useless and fell out of the sky at 600 yards. Sarcasm obviously.

Now after reading here and listening to the podcast religiously, I realize I should have stuck with the 308 to learn.

Do you think it would benefit me more to go back to my stock 308 barrel, buy another aftermarket barrel that’s threaded with a 1:10 twist rate, or just burn out my 65cm barrel and revisit it when I need a new barrel?

I don’t shoot comps now but I’d like to so that is probably the ultimate goal, steel silhouette and prs type matches.

If your goal is shooting comps, then start shooting comps. Gotta start somewhere and you’ll never be “ready” until you do it.

If I had a 6.5 and an unthreaded 308 barrel, I’d save the 6.5 barrel for matches and shoot the 308 barrel for practice. Probably more beneficial to get trigger time on positional barricade practice than to worry about whether one is better than the other for learning the wind. Make good shots, manage recoil, spot your impacts and make corrections and you’re 80% of the way there.

Reactions: HCICVOGT