• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Load development help needed.

etiennepretor

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2021
South Africa
Hi Guys,
Switching over from 7x64 to .308, need help with a starting load, COL's etc.
Any advice welcome.
This is what I have, and need to work with...
Rifle: Sauer s100 Fieldshoot
Twist: 1/11
Barrel: 24"
Bullet: Hornady 178gr ELD-X
Primer: Fioccihi-Large Rifle
Propellant: Vihtavouri N540
Case: Lapua

So, I need:
Recommended case length
Recommended overall length,
crimp/no crimp?
propellant loads?

Cheers

Last edited:
1667150724925.png

1667150782847.png

Since I don't know your barrel, and I don't shoot that bullet, till someone comes along that does... here is the N540 data that I have.
I have run the Scenar 175 and the Sierra 175 and found them easy to develop in several 308s, so I expect yours will not be difficult.
I would suggest starting at roughly 38 and working up. You can see the difference between just these two bullets in their data and how it changes with 180s, but you can expect differences between sport barrels versus match barrels, versus lab test barrels, and yours will probably fall in between.

I generally don't find crimping necessary for a bolt gun.

Suggested overall length would be from Hornady, which is 2.800"

Case length is based on you prep habits and how you size and trim. Just don't fool around with going over max unless you know the chamber detail dimensions, 2.015" max.

Take a full length sized case, cut a slit through the neck and shoulder and figure out your max coal. Then back off .040” from that and see if it fits in your magazine. If it’s too long then back off to mag length. VV lists 44gr as max for the 176 A-Tip so that’s pretty much what you have for data. I would do a single shot ladder, start at 41 and go up is .3gr increments until you hit pressure. Then you tune.

Reactions: pabrousseau
Get an ELD seating stem. A standard stem deformed the tip on 168’s and 178’s.

The high bc on these doesn’t require you to push the limits of velocity. Find a good accurate load, don’t abuse your brass chasing the limt of pressure.

Last edited:
Take a full length sized case, cut a slit through the neck and shoulder and figure out your max coal. Then back off .040” from that and see if it fits in your magazine. If it’s too long then back off to mag length. VV lists 44gr as max for the 176 A-Tip so that’s pretty much what you have for data. I would do a single shot ladder, start at 41 and go up is .3gr increments until you hit pressure. Then you tune.
100ds, Thanks

Hi Guys,
Switching over from 7x64 to .308, need help with a starting load, COL's etc.
Any advice welcome.
This is what I have, and need to work with...
Rifle: Sauer s100 Fieldshoot
Twist: 1/11
Barrel: 24"
Bullet: Hornady 178gr ELD-X
Primer: Fioccihi-Large Rifle
Propellant: Vihtavouri N540
Case: Lapua

So, I need:
Recommended case length
Recommended overall length,
crimp/no crimp?
propellant loads?

Cheers
45.0 varget
2.801”
No crimp
CCI BR2 primer
168 MK or 165 Nosler AB

Last edited:
Reactions: waveslayer
45.0 varget
2.801”
No crimp
CCI BR2 primer
Did you read the OP's opening statement ? Like where he stated this is what he has to work with ? :rolleyes:

1669807026488.png

N540 has published data 38.7 -42.4 for a 175 grain Scenar bullet at 2.795 " COAL . 175 grain Berger VLD at 38.7 to 43.1 grains of N540 at same COAL . Not the same bullet you have but gives you an idea of charge range .