• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 load for multiple guns

cox308

BAMF
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
United States, Hawaii
Howzit,

I have around 1000 308 federal cases. A mix of FGMM, M1A, and American Eagle. I just ordered 1000 Nosler 168gr. BTHP' because the price was right at $219. I'd like to load these for plinking and shooting steel. I'm not looking for match accuracy even thought that would be nice. My main goal is that this ammo will shoot reliably from multiple rifles both bolt actions and semi autos.

All the brass will be FL sized and trimmed to 2.005", chamfered, deburred etc. I'll be using Remington 9 1/2 primers and would like to use Varget powder since I have a lot of it. I was thinking 43.5 or 44 grains with the bullets seated to 2.800 COAL.

Any suggestions? Will this load shoot close to 168 gr. FGMM? Any input is appreciated. Aloha

Re: 308 load for multiple guns

What brand of 168gr bullets??? I'd rather see a person take full advantage of each gun. What rifle brand/models.

If you wanted to duplicate Federal GMM just take a box of it to the range chrono it then build up to that velocity using the varget and you should get a round that shoots very similar. I personally shoot 168 SMKs ontop of 42.5 grains of H4895 with decent results (As always you should start 10% below peoples recomended loads and verify their safety in your reloading manual) This load is similar to FGMM in performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltgunluvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What brand of 168gr bullets??? I'd rather see a person take full advantage of each gun. What rifle brand/models. </div></div>

Sorry. I thought I included the bullet brand Nosler. Edited. Right now I only have a r700 in 308 which I already load for Neck sizing only. I plan on building an AR in 308 in the near future.

Note: i forgot to mention that I will probably end up just storing/hording a lot of this ammo and that's why I want it to be able to shoot from any gun and not taylored to only one. I buy and sell guns a lot and never know what I might end up having in the future

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you wanted to duplicate Federal GMM just take a box of it to the range chrono it then build up to that velocity using the varget and you should get a round that shoots very similar. I personally shoot 168 SMKs ontop of 42.5 grains of H4895 with decent results (As always you should start 10% below peoples recomended loads and verify their safety in your reloading manual) This load is similar to FGMM in performance. </div></div>

Thanks B3. Unfortunately I don't have a chrono yet

The load quoted with 4895 should do you fine. You mentioned that you were going to build up an AR, but you also mentioned that you sell/trade frequently. If you trade into or buy a M1 Garand, the mid-range powders such as 4895 are the ones to use. You should also size the brass...bumping the shoulder back...to fit the tightest chamber you may have. You might seriously consider using a small base die to enable fault free chambering in some semi-autos. Doing that (bumping the shoulder back to minimum) will shorten the life of the brass,but that shouldn't be the primary consideration in your scenario. Some shooters would also make the argument that CCI 34 primers should be used for semi-auto use in order to prevent slam fire incidents. JMHO

I dont have any experience with Nosler, but excellent choice. Oh Heck, every major bullet manufacturer makes great stuff these days. Since you'll be using an AR, assuming you will be FL sizing everything???