• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Load NOOB help me out

Aauletto

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2013
Newtown PA
I just set up my first reloading station got everything i need to load .. the son and I will be giving it a go this weekend i have a 1/12 twist remington 700 sps tactical 20in heavy barrel ... any good loads been working for people i have sierra match king BT 155 grain bullets ATM and some 168 grain on the way I hear people get good results with 168 with my firearm .. well any advice would be great also im using varget powder any advice not just loads would be appreciated

thanks in advance !

IMG_2790.jpg

Last edited:
If you'll click on the next forum below this one, Sniper's HIde Reloading Depot, there is a sticky thread at the top with much info on load data for .308

My advise would be to keep building onto that bench, you're going to need the room, LOL!
Get yourself some 2000MR and/or CFE223 for the 168s you got coming in, RL15 will give you very good accuracy but not as much velocity as CFE & 2000MR powders. 47-48grs with 2000MR depending on the brass you're using.

Last edited:
That's one tiny bench! My buddy witht he same gun is having good luck with faster powders like TAC and 175SMKs but I think his twist is faster than yours so if yours it really 1-12 then 168s might be better in yours but either way, I suspect you'll find that faster powders (faster than Varget/4064) will net you the best results.

thanks high im going to make some this weekend and try them out and grab some what is TAC and 175SMKs im not familiar with them im trying to learn more about the different types because if not i just walk into store and they give me what they want because i dont know better ... thanks again

That's one tiny bench! My buddy witht he same gun is having good luck with faster powders like TAC and 175SMKs but I think his twist is faster than yours so if yours it really 1-12 then 168s might be better in yours but either way, I suspect you'll find that faster powders (faster than Varget/4064) will net you the best results.

His bench is bigger than mine...

@OP: Check out the "Reloading for long range" stickys in this forum. They were amazingly helpful to me, and got me up to speed in short order.

I use 155 A-max's with 46gr of Varget in my 1/12 twist barrel. With new lapua brass, it works best with 45.5gr, but after they are fire-formed, it takes 46gr.