• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 load question...

Kilo-Sierra

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Oklahoma
If you had limited funds, and had to pick a single projectile and powder to get started with, what would it be?

My rifle is a Savage 10FCP 5R .308 with a 20 inch barrel.

I am leaning towards a 178 grain Amax, and Varget powder. After doing a lot of reading, and searching, it looks like that combo works fairly well in most guns. Suggestions, or thoughts?

Re: .308 load question...

Knew I left something out. I plan to shoot F class stuff at 600 yards, and eventually do 1000 as well. Most of my shooting will be around 600. That being said, since my range time is limited, I am hoping to find one load to do all this with.

Also plan to hunt with it, and the Amaxs seem to do well on game. Whitetail and coyotes would be about it.

Sounds like you are in the right track. I am doing almost the same thing but I am going to load up 178 amax and 178 hpbt and find which shoots better. I'm hoping the hpbt shoots better due to its higher BC. I would really like to take this load out to 1200yards.

I shoot 155gr Amax's out to 1K with no problem. I'm also getting them for about $23/100. They work great without the additional cost of SMK's.

I buy boxes of #250 168 gn Amax for about $55. I have some 178's that I will do OCW testing with using CFE223 powder. If CFE223 doesn't work out enough I'm thinking Varget, I have both powders. I wish I could find 178 Amax in the 250 per box deal. I like the Amax because it seems to be a great performing bullet for lots cheaper than say Nosler, Berger, Barns.

Thanks. My thoughts on it are, drop is the easy part, wind is the hard part. So, if 178s are less affected by wind, those might be the better beginner bullets.

Lapua Brass
178 Amax (touching the lands)
GM210 primer
42.5 - 43 Varget

gets my vote!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo-Sierra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Some good loads recommended here
The 20 inch barrel should work up to 600 yards but to maintain any load past super sonic up to 1000 yards would be a challenge

ENS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EagerNoSkill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo-Sierra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Some good loads recommended here
The 20 inch barrel should work up to 600 yards but to maintain any load past super sonic up to 1000 yards would be a challenge

ENS </div></div>

Yes but this is where a good bullet design with a high BC and good transsonic capabilities come into play. Stay away from the 168 smk as they don't make the transition well. 178g hornady, 175 SMK, most of the burgs should reach out to 1000 even with a 20" tube.

Thanks all, I read all 13 pages of the .308 load info and it seems like that's a common theme.