• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 load with Magnum primers.... Need Help

browningboy84

Minuteman
May 7, 2009
Georgia
I am trying to work up a load for an M1A, but I only have magnum primers. I cant get any large rifle primers. I have IMR 4350, H414, H4895. Do any of yall have any loads worked up for this? The barrel is 22 inches, and is a match grade barrel chrome lined, 1 in 11" twist. I have Federal LRM primers and Remington brass. I could really use some help on this one, as I am darting into uncharted waters here.

Re: .308 load with Magnum primers.... Need Help

To switch from LR to LRm's I backed off 1 grain in the 30-06 and ended up down about .4gr from the original load.

Primers were CCI 200's and 250's

I read that magnum primer actually produce less deviation than regular primers. Who knows I have ran them both ways.

Omit prior post as not thinking GAS GUN, sorry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the great generalizations is that magnum primers are best with ball type powders. So consider the H414 a good place to start. When living in the northeast I often substituted magnum primers when the weather was below freezing. Never had any issues doing it that way. </div></div>

DO NOT use H414 in an M1A. You'll damage the rifle. That powder is waaaaaaaaaaaay to slow. M1As were designed around 4895. You can go a little slower like Varget or IMR4064, but that about it.

Read the link listed above it has allot of good information for M1A.

Good Luck

Jerry

Jerry is so right about the port pressure with the M1A. The wrong powder WILL wreck your day. Powders like H4895,IMR4895 VV135,VV140,WIN748 and RL15 are a safe bet. And I use RL15 for nothing other than 168 and 175's. Another thing that I stay away from, is trying to shove 190's down the barrel. They only wreck the bedding,possibly bend op rods and never get up to FPS to make them worth the punishment.