• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 loads with varget powder?

jamesZ71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2009
Sarasota,FL
what lee scooper do i use to get 45gr or 46gr of varget powder or to get a 308 load for a 20'' barrel shooting out of a savage 10 using fed brass and 168gr moly HPBT?

Re: 308 loads with varget powder?

that is a good one. I do use one of those scoops to dribble the last few kernals.
Rob

If you have a scale you can answer that yourself.
If you do not have a scale, buy one, before you go any further.

I would not consider loading without one.

My reply is not meant to be rude.
Be safe.

had to get varget because the gun shops in town are out of IMR3031 and don't know when they are getting more in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what lee scooper do i use to get 45gr or 46gr of varget powder or to get a 308 load for a 20'' barrel shooting out of a savage 10 using fed brass and 168gr moly HPBT? </div></div>

James,

the Lee slide rule card calls for;

3.10 dipper = 42.4 grains of Varget
3.40 dipper = 46.5 grains of Varget

I think your better off with the Varget rather than 3031!

Oh, and be careful man...

Varget is a great powder for 308.
I consider a scale to be a requirement, for safety as well as accuracy. I might consider throwing from those dippers again, I have in the past, but I would not do it without testing a weighing a few loads during a loading session. I also like to check a few loads to see if my dipping technique is good.

It would be a shame to grab the wrong dipper and wind up over charging a load to save a few bucks.

I'm with the other guys be really carefull using the scoops. The only thing I use the scoops for is if I trickle too much into the scale I use the scoop to take a bit of powder out. Good Luck and if anything use the smaller scoop that would get you on the lower end of the spectrum of powder charge 42.4 gr. If your scooping 46+ or - grains on a 308 you could get dangerous real fast.

the kit i have is numbered like this 020,039,052,065,069,108,129,141,167,190,205,230 and 258

The Lee dipper kit, alone, is a practical way to put together utilitarian hunting or plinking ammo or, precisely weighed ammo if using a scale. That is why they include a scoop with every set of dies.

The reloader kit that I referenced has a range of scoops from very small to fairly large (I'm not going back to the friggin garage to pull it down again!) denoting cubic centimeters. Anyway, I'm unfamiliar with these scoop numbers you named. Are you sure they are Lee powder scoops?

Works great for my rifles using the 168 gr SMK (not moly), BR2 or GM210M primers, and any non 7.62 brass (military cases have less case capacity so that load has felt like max in my rifles using mil cases), like Lapua, Remington, Winchester, etc.

How will you know it is 44.8gr if your scale is tits up?

Safer than trying for 46.

If these are your first loads, you might want to start around 42 grains and work up as you see how they do.

I have often loaded a series of powder charges in 5-shot groups, but I start shooting the lightest first and look for pressure signs. If they start looking like high pressure loads, I stop and pull the bullets and dump the charges out and take another look at what I want to do.

46 grains is the max load Hodgdon suggests. This means it may work but you should work up to it carefully.

trying to see what i can do to fix it and might have to borrow one

LOL
laugh.gif

this really sucks i have another match on sunday and dont have enough ammo loaded

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what part of tampa? and only need to load 50 rounds </div></div>

The badass motherfucker part...

PM sent!

I'm near Ray Jay. Pretty nearly in the geographical center though any where I am is the badass part! Am I overworking this crap?

Anyway, if you want you can borrow one of my scales. I'd offer to let you come over and load rounds on my set up but I don't bump necks, check for run out, weigh cases, bullets or primers or pinch out kernals of powder from My Chargemaster pan to keep them dead on to the programed charge!

I load rounds using my Dillon 550 using Dillon dies with Dillon Blue Press babes bringing me cold drinks and unlit cigars!

That last sentence is 2/3rds true!

Bob at Harbor Reloading in Clearwater stocks scales and powder measures.
(727)446-7233 11:00AM-6:00 PM
About 3 miles north of Gulf to Bay blvd on Sunnydale Ave. 3 blocks east of Hercules.

He'll be there all day if you want to go that route.