• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 max case length DOH!

slyfox

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2012
IN
So like a dumbass I forgot to measure a few cases before priming them, 3 of them are 2.016 which is +0.001 over the max case length for 308. I understand the danger of using brass over the max but what is your opinion on just putting a light load in these and still firing them? The other option I guess is to adjust the blade height on my trimmer and try to just shave a bit off. Thoughts?

Re: 308 max case length DOH!

If itsa factory 700. Your probably fine

In my 700 I don't have to trim til 2.04

Minimum chamber length is more than a thou longer than max case length.

Thanks for the responses. I figured this was the case but just thought I would ask to be on the safe side. I had actually never let my cases go above max length before because I am stupid anal about my safety. I like my face and eye sight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slyfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just thought I would ask to be on the safe side. </div></div>

Being "on the safe side" can lead to a lot of brass trimming. Why not check the chamber first to see what it can handle for a maximum length. Sinclair makes a neat, easy to use chamber length tool. Just insert it in the end of an empty cartridge, leave it long, then chamber it. The end of the neck portion of the chamber will push it back and all that's left to do is measure it when extracted.

If you don't want to buy this, another way is to get one of those nail hole fill crayons that are sold at Home Depot. Kind of like a hard, sticky, crayola.

Run a thick line of this filler crayon material on the side of a seated bullet. Level it off flush with the case neck. Make sure it extends almost to the ogive of the bullet.

When you chamber and remove the round with this thick "nick/nail head filler" material, the end of the chamber will be very evident.

If you continue to trim your cases to the suggested "trim to" length you're just leaving more space for carbon to build up. Give the case .015" or so of "clearance" and you're gtg.

I trim after every firing because I want the case mouth's to be perfectly square to the centerline so I don't worry about the cases getting too long. FWIW, most cases will only grow in length significantly at the first or second firing. After that they don't grow much at all.