• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 muzzle brake ??

telcolineman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
Pine Grove, Norcal
I live in California, Ya Ya I know. Anyway I am thinking about going featureless on my AR10, I will have to ditch the FH. I am looking for an inexpensive brake for it and wanted the all knowing hide members to help me out, It is a 20" barrel Armalite 10 with a PRS stock and FF tube. Barrel is standard profile 5/8"x24tpi, Can you recommend a brake at a good price? I'm not to worried about the shooters next to me and like the phantom style brakes, I found a phantom style on ebay made if carbon steel and 3" long hex design
Thanks in advance
Jim

Re: .308 muzzle brake ??

Check out the PWS FSC556 as it's amazing at controlling recoil and the price is a fraction of similar performing devices at under $85.

FSC556 is for a 223 hence the 556 at the end. They are working on a 30 cal version but its unavailable at this time.

Check out SAS supressor mount/Brake. Have one on a 308 AI and it works very well and IMO it looks pretty good too.

Mile high shooting stocks them and they are a vendor here, beleive they run about $75.00 which is a great price for a quality brake.

The Ops Inc R3E2C brakes are excellent, but by no means cheap. They are highly effective and not as loud as some other brakes tend to be. The down side to the Ops brake (other than the cost) is the length (just over 2.5").

I have also used the JP Enterprises/Bennie Cooley Tactical Brake is a great option and can be had for around $90 or less.

Finally, the PRI/MSTN Quiet Control brake is a great option for <$80.

My bad, I could have SWORE when I read that last night it said he needed a .223 comp. Here is the direct link to the same thing from PWS in a 30cal which will work perfect for your needs: FSC30

My bad, was at Rainer Arms last weekend and they said that they were not in production yet.

But either way IMO a combination od comp and flash hider is the way to go.

You will LOVE that break. I took a video of my buddy shooting my AR15 at the end of last year for those who said it couldn't control recoil as well as a $450 Triple Tap break. He hammer fires through a full mag of 30 and the only movement from the muzzle is from him expecting there to be more climb at first. For $100 or 1/4 the price of the Triple Tap I don't think you can do any better for your buying dollar IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My bad, was at Rainer Arms last weekend and they said that they were not in production yet.

But either way IMO a combination od comp and flash hider is the way to go. </div></div>

What they may have confused it with is the same thing with QD threads to host a YHM suppressor. That's the version if have on my AR15 and I've been patiently waiting for them to release the same thing in a 30cal comp. The PSC30 has been out for a while so it's likely they were confusing what they were asking maybe.

It's funny you mention that it's a combo device because the ATF doesn't lsit it as a flash hiding device. I can tell you that it actually does quite a good job of this however even though the ATF didn't seem to think so. The nice thing about that is for those who are restricted from using FH comps this technically isn't. I bought it as a muzzle break for when I shoot competitions so that was my primary focus for a muzzle device but heard through a little birdie that it did both quite well. Operating on that info I bought and am quite content with my purchase.

About the only knock is the pulse felt immediately around you as you shoot. You will notice that or your buddies will but it's a small trade off IMO for what it does and what it costs. If this is going to be an entry gun or something though and you value this a little more than some you may want to take that into consideration. Otherwise, buy with confidence.

If you can't get Holland to do you a 5/8x24, then Bennie Cooley's tactical brake is the next best.

Only folks that hate Hollands or Cooley's, that have shot one, are those setting next to one. I've both and it's hard to rate which is better, except the Holland is shorter.

I appreciate all the info, I like the FC30 and I found a guy willing to make a gill style brake to my specs for a very reasonable price, I think I will give him a try. If I don't like it I can send it back, Doesn't get any better than that IMO

+1 on the PWS FSC30. I have one on my AR10. Loud, but works well.

Thanks for all the info guys, I actually found a gentleman who is going to build 1 for me at a smoking deal. Can't wait to see it, The price is sooo good that I am sworn to secrecy. Once I receive it and test it I will post more info
Thanks Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: telcolineman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the info guys, I actually found a gentleman who is going to build 1 for me at a smoking deal. Can't wait to see it, The price is sooo good that I am sworn to secrecy. Once I receive it and test it I will post more info
Thanks Jim </div></div>

it is a roedale copy isn't it?? In Magnesium I'll bet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 30 cal version of the FSC556 is called the PRC.

Precision Rifle Comp. </div></div>that one is rough -side blast and light up up like Christmas tree at night firing but control is nice .......had one on an 308 ap4 the other fsc30 is better my ap4 has phantom 5 port now it works very well!

I also have a PWS FSC30 and like it for the most part. Main downside I've found is it directs significant gas downward so summertime in the desert is a dust storm after each shot. Great MD; however, if you shoot prone in dry dusty conditions you may want to try something else.

SUREFIRE's are very effective. I have one on my entry rifle and am very happy with it, (5.56). Though there is not much recoil to begin with, if you shoot them enough you can feel it go from "push" to "pulse", quick follow up. I'm putting one on my M40A3, and I wouldn't if I did not have faith in the product. Jeff.