• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 nech sizer die on a 30-06?

Re: .308 nech sizer die on a 30-06?

Might, if the 308 die is a neck sizer (not Lee Collet).
Waste a case and find out.

Mines works that way, I have a plain jane Hornady "New Dimension" 30 cal NS die. I've run everything I own in 30 cal through it without any issue.

I don't know how a collet die would handle it

"I don't know how a collet die would handle it"

Any conventional neck sizer will work IF the body is compatable.

The Lee collet neck die is a whole different kind of tool and is cartridge specific.

A Lee collet die will interchange between a .308 and .30-06. Just like any other neck sizing die the shoulder of the different case has to fit into the body of the die. So, a .300 mag might not, same with a .300 WSM. The case goes into the body then it's case shoulder pressure pushing up that pushes the collets into the tapered barrel and squeezing the neck down onto the mandrel.

I have an RCBS. Sounds like it should work. I was thinking it wouldn't be a problem especially with a 30-06.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Lee collet die will interchange between a .308 and .30-06. </div></div>

No, it won't. Do you own Lee collet dies? or even know how they work?
The bottom of the collet is pushed by the shell holder - not the case shoulder.

"The case goes into the body then it's case shoulder pressure pushing up that pushes the collets into the tapered barrel and squeezing the neck down onto the mandrel."

Goodness, nothing in that is correct! No part of any proper cartridge shoulder ever touchs a Lee Collet die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an RCBS .308 neck sizer die. </div></div>

Then yes, it will work. You'll either have to short stroke the press or more appropriately, adjust the die depth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insert Name Here</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Lee collet die will interchange between a .308 and .30-06. </div></div>

No, it won't. Do you own Lee collet dies? or even know how they work?
The bottom of the collet is pushed by the shell holder - not the case shoulder.
</div></div>

I stand corrected. No they won't interchange as I stated before. I went downstairs to look at my 6.5x55 Lee Collet die and the entire mechanism is pushed up by the shellholder as you said not the shoulder of the case.

Just for fun I took a .270 case and resized it to see what it would do. Here's the results.

23t2mx5.jpg

59u83d.jpg

The .270 neck pushed it's way up into the sizing area but with no pressure against it, formed into the collet slots and did not size down.

And since I wasn't up to date on just exactly how the collet die worked. I took it apart. As was explained previously the collet (part with the long slots in it) pushes up into the tapered barrel and closes down. The tapered barrel (and depriming pin) are retained in place by a cap screwed into the top of the die body.

16atpc0.jpg

And, since I'm correcting myself. There is a .013" difference between the shoulder of the .30-06 (.441") and the .308 (.454"). So yes, in a pinch, you can neck size down but with the 30-06 case going into the die freely you can attain up to .013" off center if you don't have the case perfectly centered as it enters the die. If you plan to load 30-06 for the long haul, I would get a set of dies for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The case goes into the body then it's case shoulder pressure pushing up that pushes the collets into the tapered barrel and squeezing the neck down onto the mandrel."

Goodness, nothing in that is correct! No part of any proper cartridge shoulder ever touchs a Lee Collet die.
</div></div>

And to correct myself again, two of the three things are correct. The collet squeezes down when it enters the tapered barrel and it doesn't get any smaller because it is squeezed down onto the mandrel. See post above for my correction of myself.

I saw a .30-06 casing accidentally resized in a .308 FL die. you get a hell of a lot of neck!

No It wasn't me, but a fellow club member, who forgot to change out his dies.