.308 neck bushing sizes.... and brands....

anelles

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2019
Nashville, TN.
I just ordered my first bushing sizing die, I decided to give those a try after using standard dies for years. Even after reading through a few dozen prior posts on this, I'm a little confused on which bushings I need to pickup. I want to order what I'll actually use, and hopefully avoid ordering some bushings I wont need.

Loading for .308, I'm sitting on a mountain of Federal GMM, LC LR, and IMI Match brass. I went and measured neck wall thickness on a sampling of each.

FGMM came out at .338 loaded across all samples, the LC LR 18/19 came out at .015 wall +/- .001, and the IMI Match came out at .015, +/- .001 as well. If my math is right, this (luckily) gives me a value of .338 for all three brass types.

I'm aiming for .002 of tension, factoring in .001 spring back, it sounds like a .335 bushing would handle any of this brass just fine. Does this track?

Would it be wise to pick up a .334 and .336 as well? Or am I just buying bushings that I likely wont use right now?

Finally, it seems many recommend Short Action Customs bushings over the others. Are these worth the investment over RCBS, Hornady, Redding, etc.? Or should I just use the cash to pickup more of the cheaper bushings?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: simonp

acudaowner

Two Star General
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Id skip the neck bushings all together and just use the die body to close the neck so it holds a new bullet . let your expanding mandrels do there job of opening the neck uniformed to what ever you desired neck tension should be .

Reactions: simonp and anelles

anelles

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2019
Nashville, TN.
Id skip the neck bushings all together and just use the die body to close the neck so it holds a new bullet . let your expanding mandrels do there job of opening the neck uniformed to what ever you desired neck tension should be .
This has been on my radar as well, I don't currently have an expanding mandrel, and was thinking about trying the bushing die alone to start.

If I go for an expanding mandrel, I'd want to use a bushing to put in about .004 of tension, then use a mandrel to bring it back out to .002 right? I guess I'd be looking at a .333 bushing and a 21st Century .30cal Black Nitride Turning Arbor to accomplish this.

Mostly thinking out loud here, open to feedback.

JS/

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2001
For .308 Win. I normally run fired brass through a .339 bushing and deprime. Then if it's Lapua brass it goes through a .335 or if it's Winchester or similar thin brass it goes through a .334. Redding recommends not sizing more than .005 at a time.

Reactions: anelles