• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 neck Sizing queston

shooter308

Sergeant
Minuteman
i am what you should say new to neck sizing dies but been reloading about 20 years just always FL everything but now with my $$ brass i have been neck sizing with a Redding neck sizing .308 die i bought. my questions is how much lube does it take and do you have to swab down the inside necks like i have heard before? Or just a light lube then let em sit for 10-15 min the size just like a FL sizer? This may be a dumb question to most but itll help me. ALso how many reloading can i expect with 308 hornady match brass? Also anymore advantages in long rang shooting for necking sizing them. Or anything else that neck sizing helps with seating or help out with longer bullet selecetion OAL wise by NS them? Appreciate the help! Shooter 308

Re: 308 neck Sizing queston

You don't need lube to necksize. After 4-5 firings/could be more/ depending on the load you will have to push the shoulder back

I always use a mica neck lube kit. A quick dip does both inside and outside. It also lets you see how far down the neck your sizing too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need lube to necksize. After 4-5 firings/could be more/ depending on the load you will have to push the shoulder back </div></div>

This works for me if using the Lee Collet die. If I use the original Redding neck size die, I use the Imperial graphite. It works much better than regular case lube.

If you anneal, that will extend you brass life as well.