• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 OAL question

MDM44

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
North Carolina
Working up new load for .308 Hornady SST 150.Manuals say COAL max 2.81,bullet in dummy(no primer no powder)started 2.985 inserted action closed goes to 2.927 repeatedly.Does that measurement sound right,if so, isn't that a lot of jump for best accuracy?

Re: .308 OAL question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunnyson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Working up new load for .308 Hornady SST 150.Manuals say COAL max 2.81,bullet in dummy(no primer no powder)started 2.985 inserted action closed goes to 2.927 repeatedly.Does that measurement sound right,if so, isn't that a lot of jump for best accuracy? </div></div>

Remington M-700?

Sounds right, especially so, if the bore has a lot of rounds already down it.

Chris

The bore on my hunting rifle was sloppy. I could load my cartridges to roughly the same length. As long as they shoot ok and fit the magazine, you should be fine.

What is the rifle going to be used for?

Primary use deer hunting(ranges out to 350,maybe some coyotes,target shooting in the off season.

If its for hunting you may be better of seating at 2.8" COAL for reliable results. Most R700's are tolerant of, or even prefer jump. Experiment and see what works best in your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunnyson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> isn't that a lot of jump for best accuracy? </div></div>

My remmy has 155 Scenars touch the lands at 2.963. I have a long range load at OAL=2.948 that gets single loaded, and I have a benchrest load at OAL = 2.820. The benchrest load will shoot as well at 0.188 while the long range load has never shot better than 0.289.

Ive had very good results in several REM 700's .308, 243, 260, 6mm REM all loaded at mag length especially when used for hunting. Work with a length that FEEDS out of our magazine until you get bugholes.

I load mine at 2.83 OAL with the heavier 168 and 175 gr with outstanding accuracy, in the 150-155 range it is around 2.77-2.8 depending on the ogive.

The M118LR round for military snipers is 2.83 with a 175 SMK, that is where I got the idea from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneteam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load mine at 2.83 OAL with the heavier 168 and 175 gr with outstanding accuracy, in the 150-155 range it is around 2.77-2.8 depending on the ogive.

The M118LR round for military snipers is 2.83 with a 175 SMK, that is where I got the idea from. </div></div>

I wish I would have known this prior to doing all of my load development. I can confirm this from what I found out during my development. My best combo is OAL 2.838, OGIVE 2.050, out of a REM 700 XCR long range Tactical, 26" Barrel. 2715fps, 44gr Varget, 175gr SMK. Outstanding results, Sub MOA to 600 yrds.