• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 on a long action..pro & cons

summitsitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Crowville, Louisiana
I have a remington 700 long action that I would like to turn into a .308. Tell me the pros and cons of using the long action on the .308. Thanks. Trent

Re: 308 on a long action..pro & cons

None, except it's not as "cool" and some will tell you not a rigid. It will allow you to throat for l-o-n-g VLD bullets without reducing powder capacity.

Unusual as many of the best reasons for going to a .308 are sacrificed and the best reasons to go with a 30-06 are not realized.

I would respectfully ask the following:

1. Was this LA a rifle you used and, if so, in what caliber?
2. What would you see as the advantages of doing this adoption?

I wouldn't do it but if you must have a 308 and have a long action, it can be done and has the OAL advantage. I'd rather have an 06' than a 308 and rather have a 300 H&H than either.

If the action is a .473 bolt face ,then don't waste your time on a .308,move toward a 30/06.but if a 308 is what you want,then the only advantage is that it will allow you to set the bullets out longer.

No problem thats for sure the Army's M24 is based on the long action.As others have stated if using a long action use its benefits go 30-06 or even better .280. The Army wanted the ability to change bolts,barrels and mag box's and convert to .300 win mag (thats never happened).

On the rigid "issue" I bed the first 1.5" of the barrel on any 700 anyway, short or long, so that is a non-issue.

The LA is way easier to load rounds from the top into if you are not using a Badger DM setup. For an ADL or BDL setup the long action is way better - much easier to load rounds into the mag box from the top.

Go for it dude! Technically you have slightly less firing pin mass and a bit more rigidity with an SA, but from a practical perspective the LA is just fine for what you'll be doing with it.

I actually bought the rifle off a buddy for a really good price. It's currently a 30-06. Since I already have a 30-06 I want to do something different with it. I'm working on a really good deal on a .30 cal barrel so decide I wouldn't mine having a .308. Shouldn't everybody have at least one 308. As far as advantage I would say all the load data and shooting I can shoot alot with out the recoil. Thanks, Trent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unusual as many of the best reasons for going to a .308 are sacrificed and the best reasons to go with a 30-06 are not realized.

I would respectfully ask the following:

1. Was this LA a rifle you used and, if so, in what caliber?
2. What would you see as the advantages of doing this adoption?

</div></div>

Using a LA would make perfect sense, excpecially for longer higher BC bullets that post people are using.

I did a 6.5x284 with a 30.06 ADL, LA, as SA were all the craze. I seated the Berger VLD to 3.111 OACL, touching the lands. Could nat have been happier with it. With a SA, the longer bullets would have sacrificed case capacity, handicapping me seriously.

SA guys scoffed at the idea, but I am not so concerned with the "stiffness" myth with a SA, nor the wieght savings of all of about 4-8 OZ. of metal.

Are there better options than .308, ballistically, yes, overall, probably not, when taking into account barrel life, ease of use, recoil management for follow up shots, etc. etc.

.308 + LA = winner.

There are many advantages, using a LA, IMO over a SA.

She always said, bigger is better. Dont let the "it's how you use it guys" talk you into disadvantage or limitations.

Just do the 30-06 and shoot that. It will have GOOD barrel lift. Got over 1100 down mine this last year and shoot same COAL with VLDS.

Either one is fine, the M24 is based on a Magnum Action, not a LA.
Best reason for a .308 ( IMHO) is cheaper to load, and less recoil, better brass.
And, can shoot (with the correct bullets) just as far.............maybe not quite as flat.
That said, everyone should have ONE good '06.
wink.gif

The Remington 700 Long action and Magnum action are the same length actions as were the 721s, Browning Safaris and Model 70s. Bigger bolt face, bigger magazine and hole for it, but none are a true Magnum action like a square bridge magnum mauser. Check the action screw hole spacings or look at my 700 244 H&H or 721 300 H&H both of which reside in Remington factory stocks made for the 700 Classic 35 Whelen.
While it may not be "mil-spec" a 280 Remington will out do a 308 or 06 at long range. It's all about sectional density. If I had a LA, 06 boltface, I wuz gonna rebbl, I'd do a 280 long before a 308.

Again I already have a 30-06 and getting a good deal on a .30 cal barrel hence the .308 build. nothing more, nothing less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: summitsitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again I already have a 30-06 and getting a good deal on a .30 cal barrel hence the .308 build. nothing more, nothing less.</div></div>

Well not that I know much, but sounds like you have already made your choice! I know you can't go wrong with the 308, but if you already decided why not just say it and then ask the pros/cons (though you'd probably get the same responses!). One last thing, whats wrong with having two of the '06s? Makes it that much cheaper/easier to reload (assuming you do if you shoot in much volume), and from what I hear it is at least as good of a round as 308. Do you want a 308 just because "it's what the snipers use"? or do you have a reason to justify it? Just curious, and wanting you to think you decision through and come out with the best option. Don't go past the '06 just because you already have one! For the record.... I don't own an '06!

Haven't completely made my mind up jsut thought of going with the 308 because of the cheap barrel. If it wouldn't have worked out with the LA then I probly would have passed on the barrel. Never really understood the purpose of having 2 guns of the same caliber.

i have a savage .308 that was a 30-06 and had been converted with a match barrel. i enjoy shooting it very much. i dont take advantage of the ability to seat the bullets longer because i use smks. i say go for it. if you want a .308 and can do the deal for a decent price, i dont see any problems.