• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 on its first night out

roby

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2004
houston
Gap 308
stiller tac 30 from 1st group buy. serial SH2007XX
Bartlein 1-11.25 twist 20"
Badger DBMS
McMillan HTG in TX camo
USO SN3 3-17x

Went to Bayou rifles today..very quiet and peaceful out there. Broke in the .308 today and it required minimal break in. The majority of my time was figuring out the EREK system on the scope. The gun itself definitely groups better once it gets a little fouling. The limiting factor is me. About 95F deg w/ 80-90%humidity.
308gap 001.jpg

308gap 002.jpg

308gap 003.jpg

Couldn't load up on the bipod due to bench. Bipod would slide when loaded. Best 3 shot group. Shooting 168 FGMM: 0.272" center to center
308gapgroups 001.jpg

Shot 2 5 shot groups, first measuring .712 center to center and next 5 shot group was a .681" . Had some issue with the wind bowing and flexing the target but I kept pulling the trigger like a bonehead instead of waiting for it to settle.

Re: 308 on its first night out

Nice! May have to give that adjustable HTG another look. Good looking, and shooting setup.

Can't imagine shooting in that kind of temperature and humidity combo... It can get up to 120+ where I live in Cali. but nowhere near the humidity.

ya the heat is a bear here. You can notice mirage at 100y which sucks but its not as bad as say @ 500y. That towel in the rear was mainly for me to towel off after every 3 shots.

In that kind of heat, can you still refer to your first shot as "cold bore" shot?
laugh.gif

Another Bayou member!

Sweet ass rifle too. Is that a mount for a SCAR H?

Also, wheres the 7WSM?

Swank! I like it...

I need to get over to Bayou and get a membership. I have been shooting at American, but they are getting to be like Cater's Country (a bunch of jerks)....

Love that rifle, you shooting Tiger Valley or Rifles Only with it any time soon?

7wsm stayed home. Need to refigure my loading for it. Put a NF on it a couple days ago so theres a lot to do with it. Yep, that is a scar h sd mount. The 7wsm has the same mount...Can is over a yr old and never been shot
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swank! I like it...

I need to get over to Bayou and get a membership. I have been shooting at American, but they are getting to be like Cater's Country (a bunch of jerks)....

Love that rifle, you shooting Tiger Valley or Rifles Only with it any time soon? </div></div>

ASC has the nicest facilities by far of the ranges open to the public. Hot wells allows cans but its way up north and not really worth the drive. Worst range I've been to is Baileys (no cease fires, no help, no more than 1rnd in magazine, etc). New ownership at ASC = new way of life so that may be the shift in feelings.

Id really like to shoot at either of those ranges but doubt I will ever get to shoot either in the forseeable future due to work as it has me away for 20-40days at a time and home for a cpl days. If I could convince myself to get a normal job I would spend my free time learning to shoot...dang job and economy makes it hard to make the change now.

nice looking rifle,what part of Houston are you in that it was 95% today?

south east. Temp according to car, humidity according to my sweaty self

Another Bayou member here, and I think that the place is a gem. I am hoping that Bayou never turns into ASC...no cans, no more carbine or handgun classes, etc...etc...Such a waste of a nice shooting range

Looking forward to meeting you.

Josh

Was Bayou recently under water? I'm thinking the TX silhouette championships this year were moved from there, or moved to there.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
308gapgroups 001.jpg

Shot 2 5 shot groups, first measuring .712 center to center and next 5 shot group was a .681"...... </div></div>

That group is better than that. Those calipers are showing .272" or so.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was Bayou recently under water? I'm thinking the TX silhouette championships this year were moved from there, or moved to there..... </div></div>

Been a pretty dry year in Houston. Last year, hurricane Ike did tear up the covers for the 300 and 1K line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was Bayou recently under water? I'm thinking the TX silhouette championships this year were moved from there, or moved to there..... </div></div>

Been a pretty dry year in Houston. Last year, hurricane Ike did tear up the covers for the 300 and 1K line. </div></div>

For some reason the 22range had 4ft of water standing on it in early May and the State SB match was moved to Austin.

Nice stick and nice shooting Roby!

Doh, your talking about the range off of 10. I never shoot there since I am 10 minutes away from the Juliff location. No centerfire rifles are allowed at the range on I10

Something just doesn't feel right measuring groups like that :p This shows how rusty I am, back when I was actively shooting center to center was the way. outside= .472 - .308 = .164

Bacarrat: what side of town are you in, i live 10 mins away from juliff but I'm in Pearland.

i dont know haha, i just did what he said. outside - .308 = x
.472 -.308= .164 correct? It doesn't sound right/look right to me either, im just doing the math to please the gods.

measure across the outside of the farthest 2 holes ...them subtract .308. from the looks of the calipers it appear to be something like .275"-.3" group. damn fine shootin'!

ok, i'm not trying to argue groups or ability. As far as I'm concerned my ability is severely lacking as I can't step up to the gun's full potential. I'm not a real rifle shooter as I spent most of my shooting time with handguns and USPSA when I was in town (3 yrs ago). I just posted to show what I was able to get with this gun or a particular day. To appease everyone I measured as others have said and included another 3 shot group. I don't know if its correct, just going by what has been said.
308gapgroups%20005.jpg

Dime in comparisson

308gapgroups%20007.jpg

Nice pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 95F deg w/ 80-90%humidity.</div></div>

Nah - didn't happen. The humidity was probably not much more than 50 percent. Everyone exaggerates the humidity in Houston - including me when I lived there for three decades.

A temperature of 95 with 80 percent RH would result in a heat index of 134 degrees. Doubtful.

Yesterday afternoon at 3:53 P.M. the temperature at Hobby was 94 with a RH of 49%. The heat index was 103. That I believe.

Nice shooting roby...looks like another hammer from the GAP crew!!

No intention here to start a pissing contest but twas really unsure that group was in the 1's...

nevertheless you've got skills and so does the rifle ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 95F deg w/ 80-90%humidity.</div></div>

Nah - didn't happen. The humidity was probably not much more than 50 percent. Everyone exaggerates the humidity in Houston - including me when I lived there for three decades.

A temperature of 95 with 80 percent RH would result in a heat index of 134 degrees. Doubtful.

Yesterday afternoon at 3:53 P.M. the temperature at Hobby was 94 with a RH of 49%. The heat index was 103. That I believe.
</div></div>

We get low to mid 90's for temp. and humidity of 75% to 80% pretty routinely this time of year. They tell us the heat index is around 105-110. And then there's that dew point business, currently at 82! So the heat index is 111 degrees right now at 10:32 am... I like to ask myself "how bad it is in Iraq right now" when I get inclined to bitch about the heat!

My barrel never really cooled down very much yesterday.

Damn nice rifle up there!

Another Bayou member here. Normally I shoot the prone matches, F-Class open, but just could not muster the energy to deal with the heat for the 300 yard match today. That missing roof is a problem!
wink.gif

Do you ever shoot the matches??

ETA - great looking rig!!!

Damn, us Bayou members should get together one weekend!

WTR, I was just at Bayou sighting in my new NF and most of the shooters were using those portable tents to cover themselves from the sun and heat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, us Bayou members should get together one weekend!

WTR, I was just at Bayou sighting in my new NF and most of the shooters were using those portable tents to cover themselves from the sun and heat. </div></div>

We sure should! The club has some portable tents that they can set up, glad they decided to.. The rule for a match is either everyone has one or no one has one, got to keep it fair.

I had thought about taking mine and going, but did not want to be told that nobody else had brought theirs.

Do you ever shoot the matches or shoot at the long ranges? I know the combos to the containers as I compete in almost all the matches, so I can facilitate long range stuff for the group.

I would like too. I was having issues with my 7WSM lately and have been trying to figure it out. Some odd reason my 162s started to shoot like shit but the 180 Bergers are shooting fine.. but that is another long drawn out story.

I have always wondered about how to get access to the containers. But yes, we do need to get a gathering of Bayou Hide members for a little informal shoot.

Access to the cans is a High Power group thing. Basically you have to be a regular competitor at the matches, and show up for all the work parties that the group has, then the High Power director can grant you the access.

The High Power group, not the club itself, pays for all of the stuff. This is why the access is limited to the group members... For example, that is why we are struggling with the roof issue at both the 300 and 1k. The club offered to by the materials only, and the HP group has to either build the roofs themselves or pay to have them built.

How do you like the WSM? I have been shooting a .284 for about 6 months, and it has been shooting really well at 1k. I am using the 180 Bergers as well.

Mark

I like it a lot. Easy to load for, great ballistic performance, moderate recoil (even without a brake), the 7mm class bullets are just hard to beat.

nice rifle! I like the stock a lot.
It appears you have a suppressor mount, do you have the can yet?
Can you take a picture of it with the suppressor on it if you do?

Ive wanted to do a build with a stock and DBM setup like that....

smile.gif

I'm beginning to like those stocks quite a bit, almost wish I had gone with one for mine. Great looking setup you have there, and very nice groups too.