• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 on xl 650

heitmann45

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
CA
Ok, I've been reading over tons of posts on this subject on multiple forums. Many of the posts say the opposite of the other. Therefore, I've only become more confused.

I've been loading pistol for ipsc for years. Rifle requires a crap load of more work is about the only thing I've learned.

I have a 650 right now that I'd like to use. I see a lot of people mention the Co-ax but I'm not sure I can stay sane using such a slow press. Also, have no experience with a press like the CO-AX. If it's really the only way to go, I guess I'm not completely adverse to it.

Back to the 650. I've seen that most people use two different tool heads to load .308. One for brass prep, and the other for loading. I looks like they usually have a decap die, sizing die, and the dillon electric case trimmer in it (or giraud, not sure which way to go). Not sure about anything else.

The second one has another decapping die, multiple sizing dies (M die, S die, not sure why they use both or what they do differently), a powder funnel to manually dump powder since the dillon one isn't very accurate, and a competition seating die.

Am I at least on the right track? Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: .308 on xl 650

Here is how I set up my RCBS Pro2000, it is a five station press like the XL650.

Station # 1: Lube/Decap die
Station # 2: Sizing die & primer seating
Station # 3: Powder charge
Station # 4: Powder check or Bullet seat
Station # 5: Bullet seat or Crimp

I use a Co-Ax press and it works great. In addition, I use Redding bushing type neck size die and competition bullet seating die. If these are bought as a set they also include a full length sizing die with the set. I did not get a progressive press because of the brass preparation and powder charge weighing. It's my opinion that a progressive press would work if I were loading all new brass and the accuracy of the powder charge didn't matter.

I use a Lee Classic single stage for my reloading.

It is much slower than a progressive press. However you have to remember the level of precision you are attempting to achieve.

I don't "double tap" or shoot "hammers" with my precision rifle. Every shot (even the fast ones) has a specific sight picture and an intended outcome.

I would love a progressive for .45ACP and for .223 ammo for my M4. I can burn through a pile of ammo in very short order for them.

If I am actually attempting to learn something with my bolt gun, I can spend all day shooting fifty rounds.

Ok, I've started my shopping. I by no means have all the money in the world, but I won't want to skimp on really good equipment either. I was planning on buying a new rifle, but I guess I'll be buying this reloading equipment instead so I should have a decent amount of money.

This is what I have so far, please let me know if you recommend something that will truly help make the process easier/faster/more accurate or let me know if I'm just wasting my money on some of these:

1. Redding type S full length sizing die. It will be mainly for bolt guns. Reg. or small base?

2. Redding competition bushing neck sizing die

3. Lyman M die

4. Redding competition seating die

5. I figure some type of taper/crimp die goes here. What do you recommend?

Still need either giraud or dillon trimmer and a good powder measure. Again, looking for some recommendations here.

Would using the 650 be fine if I manually dumped the charges using something other than the dillon powder measure? If not, the Forster CO-AX will probably be the way I'll go.

Also, do you recommend the rcbs case prep station or something else to get all of those steps done?

Thanks again for the help guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heitmann45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1. Redding type S full length sizing die. It will be mainly for bolt guns. Reg. or small base? <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Regular</span></span>

2. Redding competition bushing neck sizing die <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">I suggest forgetting this and just setting the FL die to bump the shoulder</span></span>

3. Lyman M die <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Not Needed</span></span>

4. Redding competition seating die <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Fine</span></span>

5. I figure some type of taper/crimp die goes here. What do you recommend? <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">No Crimp on precision rifle ammo.</span></span>

Still need either giraud or dillon trimmer and a good powder measure. Again, looking for some recommendations here.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">I use an RCBS Trim Pro and Trim Mate. It's not the fastest, but does a great job for me. The Giraud is highly recommended, but I don't have any experience with it.

For powder I just started using a RCBS Chargemaster 1500. It's excellent and Natchez has them for a great price with the $50 Rebate.</span></span>

Would using the 650 be fine if I manually dumped the charges using something other than the dillon powder measure? If not, the Forster CO-AX will probably be the way I'll go.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">I have no experience with the 650, but I would suggest a single stage for the simplicity. When you load rifle ammo you usually run the processes in batches. When I resize brass, I do enough to keep be set for a LONG time. I trim it at a later date. I then hand prime it by the hundred before I charge and seat a bullet.</span></span>

Also, do you recommend the rcbs case prep station or something else to get all of those steps done?

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">If you got the Giraud I think the Trim Mate would be a waste. I would just suggest a primer pocket brush and a flash hole deburring tool.</span></span>

Thanks again for the help guys.
</div></div>

I didn't see anything about priming in your list. I would suggest the Lee Hand Primer. It works very well and has a nice feel to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Lee Classic single stage for my reloading.

It is much slower than a progressive press. However you have to remember the level of precision you are attempting to achieve.

I don't "double tap" or shoot "hammers" with my precision rifle. Every shot (even the fast ones) has a specific sight picture and an intended outcome.

I would love a progressive for .45ACP and for .223 ammo for my M4. I can burn through a pile of ammo in very short order for them.

If I am actually attempting to learn something with my bolt gun, I can spend all day shooting fifty rounds. </div></div>

Amen to that brother. Every time I shoot, I make sure I'm not just shooting for recoil. There is something that I'm trying to learn or continuously improving on. I usually shoot 50-70 rounds in a 5 hour session if even.