• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 options?

Beale338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2009
B.C. Canada
Wanting to build a bolt action 308 for the wife, she will be using it for mostly target and hunting. I want to keep this build under $2000 (not including scope) and am looking for suggestions on a good action to start with.

Thanks for your input.
Beale.

Re: 308 options?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutlawTen5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem 700</div></div>

+1

I think it would be a pain for me to bring a rifle into Canada from the USA. Thanks for the info though.
I was leaning towards a rem 700 in a mcmillan stock but just thought I would get some suggestions first.

I started with a remington SPS, I have pics up on the continuing progress. It has been somewhat slow.

There is so many options for the remington though.

+10 for the mcmillian stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beale338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I was leaning towards a rem 700 in a mcmillan stock </div></div>

That's what I had in mind...

Nothing is wrong with a Remy 700 action. If you hand load, even with stock Remy barrel, you can get slightly sub MOA. If you go that way, I would get a Remy SPS rifle and put it in a good stock of your, or your wife's desire. That's will definitely be less than 2K budget you set. Once you have burned out the stock barrel, you can get a Bartlein or any of those match grade barrel and go from there.

Just curious, does it have to be a custom build? I mean, is she that good? I don't know what your situation is but if my wife wants a new rifle, I just buy her a plain Savage. It will be more accurate that her, any time, any day.

Good luck.

I'm with VYD, I'm surprised it took that long to get somebody to say Savage. You could build her one bad ass Savage for around $1200. If you want custom that is. Get a Model 10, do a barrel swap and get her a B&C light Tactical stock. Done deal, and it will shoot lights out. or keep the stock barrel and just get the stock and be around $700-$800 and get some really good glass. Douglas makes the Savage barrels so you get better quality from the get go. If you want to just buy an action, Northland shooter supply on Savageshooters forum has whatever you need. They also offer pre threaded and chambered Kreiger barrels for under $300. I'm sure they could get you a custom barreled action all put together for pretty damn cheap. Good luck whatever you decide to do, just trying to give you some info for Savage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with VYD, I'm surprised it took that long to get somebody to say Savage. You could build her one bad ass Savage for around $1200. If you want custom that is. Get a Model 10, do a barrel swap and get her a B&C light Tactical stock. Done deal, and it will shoot lights out. or keep the stock barrel and just get the stock and be around $700-$800 and get some really good glass. Douglas makes the Savage barrels so you get better quality from the get go. If you want to just buy an action, Northland shooter supply on Savageshooters forum has whatever you need. They also offer pre threaded and chambered Kreiger barrels for under $300. I'm sure they could get you a custom barreled action all put together for pretty damn cheap. Good luck whatever you decide to do, just trying to give you some info for Savage </div></div>

This will be her first rifle but I also want to build something I would enjoy shooting. Thanks for the info on the Savage, I pland on instaling a Kreiger from the get go so I will have to take a look at Northland. As for glass I am going to throw on a Nightforce NXS 3x15x50 NP-R1. Looks like I have to decide between the Rem. and the Savage now.

I know where your coming from. My next project will be building my gf a rifle so I want to make sure it's something we will both enjoy as well. Good luck with the build hope Northland has what you need

B&C does not make a light tactical for the savage.
It is either the carbelite or the varmint/tactical stock.

CZ and Tikka make fine rifles and have very good actions.

If you're going for a custom action perhaps a surgeon RSR.
With that action, McMillan stock and decent barrel it should put you at the 2000 mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, does it have to be a custom build? I mean, is she that good? I don't know what your situation is but if my wife wants a new rifle, I just buy her a plain Savage. It will be more accurate that her, any time, any day.

Good luck.

</div></div>
+1
$2000 for a spouse that may or may not shoot much....no way. I doubt your wife even thinks that is a good idea. Get her a Savage. These rifles win plenty of matches with no modifications and is more than enough for someone that is just getting into shooting. Heck it's more than enough for good shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, does it have to be a custom build? I mean, is she that good? I don't know what your situation is but if my wife wants a new rifle, I just buy her a plain Savage. It will be more accurate that her, any time, any day.

Good luck.</div></div>

I know several "wives" who are better shooter's than their spouse. Just because she is a girl doesn't mean she needs a lower level of rifle. Girls are kind of funny about that stuff. If she is savvy enough to look at YOUR rifle and see it's a high quality rig, then you hand her a cheap rifle she may decide that you are not taking her seriously and she may loose interest in the sport.

Don't dick around. If the girl wants a rifle of her own, get her the best you can afford.

Don't expect her to like a yugo when your running a Ferrari, don't under estimate your girl she may surprise you.

The rifle I will be building her is to get her to enjoy the sport, so I will get her something she likes. If she sticks with it I will get her a PGW Coyote like she really wants. Whether or not she likes it only for it's looks, as long as it keeps her interested!

I shoot a stock remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 with a Manners MCS-T stock. No tuning or trigger work or anything other than threading the barrel.
rem700sps_tactical.jpg

My 18 year old daughter wanted to shoot it. We've gone out twice.

First time at 100 yards:
Deanna-308-5.jpg

Second time (today, in fact) at 100 meters:
deanna_308_two.jpg

I think a remington 700 in a good stock will do. When she gets really good, get it tuned. Probably need a new barrel by then......

Look to Leroys Big Valley Gunworks in Glasgow MT....they can help you get a complete rifle exported to you....think they charge $125 for the lexport lic plus actual shipping...

I think a savage action with a kreiger barrel and a nice stock would be really nice. Look into a rifle basix trigger if you go with the savage.

Thank's for all the good info. I will be sure to tell the wife that SH had a part in building her rifle.