• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 or .260 for reloader?

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
Kind of torn between two things here.. Bolt (have 3 bolts already) vs. AR platform and (.308 vs .260, maybe Creedmore) out of the AR platform. I already reload for both .308 and .260 so not a big deal. I'm looking at a DPMS LR platform and upgrade over time. Anything different between the two platforms or reliability issues of one over the other in the AR platform?

Cheers,
Hawk

Re: AR10 : .308 or .260 for reloader?

Armalite did just come out with a new .260 remington upper with a stainless barrel- mounts on a standard Armalite AR-10 platform. I guess for many people it comes down to the DPMS pattern having cheaper magazines. Many of the posters around here have been pointing to quality issues with DPMS in the last couple years, but I don't have personal experience with this.

Technically AR-10 is a registered trademark of Armalite, therefore Armalite is the only company that makes AR-10s.

As to the caliber choice, I think .260 rem is generally regarded to be better, especially for longer ranges. The BC of the bullets is much better. Not sure if they could be any cheaper to load, probably not much.

Thanks brother.. I've updated the post as to make it more general and not Armalite related only.

Cheers,
Hawk

Hawk, just a FYI. Armalite regularly puts thier AR10 mags on sale. The last five I bought cost $30 each, I think you had to buy 5 to get the price brake. The last M14 mags I bought were, if I remember right, $6 each and look new. Good luck with whatever you choose, the big AR's are a blast.

okie

if you want to go long i would go .260rem(i did!)
i have a DPMS REPR in .260 with a custom 24" Kreiger bbl. easily a .3 MOA rifle with my handloaded Bergers, often times less then .3.
building an AR that is sub MOA will cost more then a bolt that will do it, but i thikn that the AR's are more fun to shoot. but spend the time and money on an AR and it will rivel any bolt gun.

If you are going with an 18 or 20 inch barrel then go with .308, unless you want to reduce recoil then go with 6.5 Creedmoor and 120gr bullets. The 260 and 6.5 Creedmore need long barrels to get the most out of the round. I really like the 6.5 Creedmore, somehow it just seems like it is the perfect case design for an ar-10 without any compromises. I used to think 6mmXC was cool and I still kind of do, but barrel life is too short.

If your going to go with a 20" or greater barrel length then definitely go with the 260.
20" 260 can get you to a maximum of around 1300 yards supersonic at STP, a 24-26" will add about another 100-150 yards.
It will out ballistic any 308 with any barrel length on the same rifle.
The 6.5 creedmore has no ballistic advantages over the 260, and since you already load for 260 there should be no reason to change.

If shooting ranges are to be kept under 800 yards, a 308 (with even a 16" barrel) will shoot well enough against a 260.

At around 800 and out, the 260 really starts to shine against a 308.

Get both.

I have had some experience with DPMS. I have a 308 SASS and after a day at the range the barrel came loose from the barrel extension. Only thing I could guess it the set pin broke, came loose or was not properly installed. with that said, the guys at DPMS are top notch when it comes to CS. they sent me over night labels and had it back in about 3 days.

I asked them to confirm the barrel and they did so with four different types of ammo. It was getting .75 inch 5 shot groups before. with the new barrel it is getting .35 3 shot groups (168 FGMM) according to the groups they sent me.

with all that said, I would go with a 260. it has much better BC. I have had no experience with Armalite but I'm sure their CS is top notch also. It is a shame to have to use CS but when it is necessary it is nice to have good CS and DPMS has some of the best I have ever seen.

Thanks guys.. are you able to take advantage of the longer bullets in the .260 from the magazine? I know I DON'T want to be single feeding it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys.. are you able to take advantage of the longer bullets in the .260 from the magazine? I know I DON'T want to be single feeding it. </div></div>
my go to load is the 140gr Berger VLD's over 42.8gr of IMR4350 loaded to 2.810 COAL, MV of 2715fps.
so yup!, long bullets work just fine at mag length. I dont have one infront of me, but i think mag lenght is 2.820.

Run 178 Amax's in my AR10T at a COAL of 2.815. If I remember correctly, I have run them to 2.825 with no problems. I've never loaded for it longer than that. I measured a total inside on Armalite mags at 2.885. I refuse to single feed an autoloader.
wink.gif

okie

Just got an Armalite 260Rem upper a few weeks ago, will have it on the range tomorrow, I hope.

Report to follow.

I load out to 2.80" so they'll run in the P-mag which is a little tighter.
I load the 140 A-max with 47.0 H4831sc.
My throat is so short that I'd be jamming if I went much longer anyhow.

Here2Learn:
Loose barrel extension?
DPMS hires too many hacks, that is inexcusable.
It could've ended really badly.
You are lucky that you detected the problem before anything bad happened.