• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Projectile weight performance

K15G

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2020
Hi guys.

I am currently looking to potentially change my .308 projectile. Barrel is 20" 1:10 twist in a Bergara HMR B14. This gun is no longer being shot in any PRS due to the cost of ammo here in Australia and is pretty much a Deer and Goat gun. Originally I had always kept with heavier projectiles only dropping as low as 165gr with good results.

Since this gun is now going to be completely used in hunting scenarios with shots under 400m, will it be suitable to drop to 130gr projectiles instead? The availability of lighter projectiles is significantly better than that 165-175gr size so there is a little bit of an availability factor behind my question. Will I still have the accuracy and performance at the 400m to take down 150kg animals?

Thanks.

Barrels are individuals, so you can't "guarantee" certain lengths/weights will or will not be just as good.

That being said: My 18", 1:10 twist ARs shoot the 150gr bullets well, and I even have good accuracy (MOA) with the 130gr TTSX.

The 150gr Interlock is a beast when it comes to killing hogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: K15G
Hi guys.

I am currently looking to potentially change my .308 projectile. Barrel is 20" 1:10 twist in a Bergara HMR B14. This gun is no longer being shot in any PRS due to the cost of ammo here in Australia and is pretty much a Deer and Goat gun. Originally I had always kept with heavier projectiles only dropping as low as 165gr with good results.

Since this gun is now going to be completely used in hunting scenarios with shots under 400m, will it be suitable to drop to 130gr projectiles instead? The availability of lighter projectiles is significantly better than that 165-175gr size so there is a little bit of an availability factor behind my question. Will I still have the accuracy and performance at the 400m to take down 150kg animals?

Thanks.
There is always a test involved to see if your rig likes any given bullet. So, if we assume the gun will shoot 130 grain bullets well, then we get to opinions on terminal ballistics. I doubt you will have trouble getting a 130 to an acceptable accuracy for a 400m shot.

My terminal ballistics opinion would be based on the bullet construction. For example, if those are really considered varmint bullets rather than small to medium game bullets.

I don't like going into the 120 - 130 grain weight class of bullets for things I want to drop in the 150 kg range. The main reason being the only ones available in this weight range for me have been varmint bullets which do not penetrate well.
Those bullets tend to disintegrate very quickly, which is ideal for small pests but less so for things like large deer or goats where some penetration may be required.

If luck says you only punch through a rib cage and take out a lung, you will get a reasonable result. If luck says you have to punch through 10cm - 20cm of muscle and bone, then you may be in for a long cruel chase. You get the picture. Varmint class bullets are not ideal on medium game.

Hope you can find the game bullets instead of the varmint ones. Good Luck.

Reactions: Doom
Id say do a little testing and see!

Availability matters unfortunately.... tryto match bullet design to impact velocity where you anticipate your shots will be. Act accordingly if your shot varies significantly from that window, ie fragile bullet at close range 50 yard target vs target at 350 yards etc.

Can you offer info or specs for the projectiles you're considering? Im sure youll get much better help if we get those details.

Reactions: perttime
Was shooting 165gr game kings

Now looking at:

Sierra .308 135 gr Varminter HP​

Sierra .308 150 gr GameKing FMJ BT​

The 150 GK is really an FMJ if we are talking part number 2115.
If you can find part number 2125 it would be a better choice. It looks like this:
1683303122154.png

I have no idea why a marketing department would use a word like GameKing for a bullet like the 2115? They must be using the same folks who sell beer around here. The 2115 will punch through and certainly kill, but not the way you want it to on game. Here is what Sierra says about it:

1683303352920.png

Your 135 is meant for varmints, so it has a very thin jacket for rapid expansion. Again, not the thing you want to use on medium game.

Reactions: K15G