• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

308 Question ?

rascaldog

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2008
London Ky.
First let me say that I am not a reloader, so to some this may be a simple question. I have a Savage 10 that I had cut to 16.5". It has 1 in 10 twist. Shots will limited to not more than 300 yards. I was looking at a round in the 125-130 grain range for coyotes and groundhogs and in the 150-165 range for deer. Does anyone have any recomendations for this load? I have a freind that can do the actual reloading. Info that I have found seems to be for guns with 22" and up barrels. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: 308 Question ?

The barrel length doesn't matter. Have him load up some rounds for you. The 1 in 10 ttwist would probably work better with the 170-175 grain bullets. I'm running 44.4 grains of varget with a 168gr A-MAX.

Re: 308 Question ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel length doesn't matter.</div></div>

As he said, barrel length doesn't matter. What shoots well in a longer barrel will also probably shoot well in a shorter one. I shoot 168 gr. bullets over IMR 4064 in my Encore handgun which, when the brake is considered, has an effective length of a bit under 14 inches.

I've had the best success with 165 and 168 gr. bullets in my 1:10 twist 308s. I also don't see what the great benefits are to loading different bullets for coyotes and deer. Work up an accurate load and use it for both. A 168 gr. bullet will kill a coyote; really.