• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308- Range limitations of 150gr vs heavier bullets

Tomspanks

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2013
At what point do these stop performing? I have a bunch of hornady 150gr FMJBT and want something for 100-500ish yard practice on steel and targets.

In other words what range does the superior BC of the 168, 170grain bullets really pull ahead and the 150gr become a hassle?

Not looking for sub MOA at 400 but looking for decent enough(and economical enough) to develop my shooting skills.

150ish grain ball ammo was acceptable to the dept of the Army if it has a mean deviation of 3.25 min. This was due mainly to the FMJBT having the core stuffed from the base into the jacket and the resulting problems with getting the heal the same on all bullets. If they are Winchester bullets, it even worse as they are .3075 diameter for machine-guns. I'm not sure if Hornady made the smaller diameter, never had a chance to measure any.

150s will get you to 500 easy.You may get out to 700 but its a toss up after that.Your barrel twist will determine how stable they are at those distances.Do you a ladder test and let em rip.I have a bunch of the Hornadys in 150gr to load myself.

I shot alot of Hornady 155 gr. SST's through my 20" Savage last summer out to 550 yds while figuring out a good all around load for hunting and banging steel. As long as I did my part, shooting MOA or less was the norm.

I have 1000 more 155 gr. on order if that tells you anything. Personally just don't see the need for going heavier for under 600 for my shooting.

If your gun likes the 150's for your ranges stick with what works. Check out the OCW method for working up a load and run with it. Good luck.

In my 20 incher I settled on 46.5 gr. Varget, 155 Hornady SST's, Hornady Match brass, cci primers. Comes in around 2750 ft./sec. over my chrony. Will probably have to tweak it a little more this spring, as I've added a brake which opened up my groups a bit, but without the brake it was my go to load.

Last edited:
155 Palmas absolutely scream out to 1300yrds and group awesome at that range. However, it's important to note that Palma bullets are NOT your typical bullet.