• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 308 reamer

"Partridge"

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2009
Hollywood, FL
just a question in general,what would be the general preferance,a standard 308 reamer or 308 match reamer.thanks in advance for all input.i am fixin to order a reamer for the rem 700 and want to make an educated decision.regular diet of lapua brass unturned.

Re: 308 reamer

Depends on what you want to achieve. Most custom rifles will use an altered .308 reamer to tighten up the SAMMI specs.

Don't guess call Pacific Tool and Gage and talk to Dave Kiff and let him know what you want and expect. He won't steer you wrong.

The Last 308 I had built was chambered with a "Palma 95" reamer from Racific Tool and Guage , and I have to say that it was the least finikey of the 308 I have every had , it seemed to shoot everything well , granted I diden't shoot any bullet over 175gr , it do however shoot all factory match stuff realy well. I was able to seat 168gr Bergers out into the lads easy and the 155gr Lapua Scenars also which shot great from that weapon also

basically you need to ask yourself, am I building a match rifle or a tactical rifle. If Im building a match rifle well there is your answer, you want a tight neck and a throat that will put your loads as close to the lands as possible without burrying them in the rifling. If your building a tactical rifle you want a chamber that will shoot a wide variety of ammo "WELL" as apposed to a match rifle you want to shoot a particular load "GREAT", in which case you should call Dave Kiff or JGS and get a reamer ground with a middle of the road tight necked chamber with a slightly shortened throat. Just a personal oppinion ... PTG is good, JGS is better, Hendrix is best.