• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 308 reamer?

Emilio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2006
Burbank, CA
I am in the begining stages of a new project rifle. I would like to have the barrel and a set of custom dies cut with the same reamer. Can anyone suggest a reamer. I have a PALMA 95 but I plan on shooting 175. I plan on going through Pacific. Thanks.

Emilio

Re: 308 reamer?

I dont think that you can cut the dies with the same reamer that is used for the chamber. I think that the dies have to be smaller than the chamber to be able to bump the brass back. I could be full of shit as well but I think that is what I read before.

The dies are also a much harder alloy and *probably* every bit as hard as the reamer.
Barrel steel is intentionally not so hard since that hardness would make it brittle and incapable of witholding the pressures of firing a round.

Why not go the easy route and use cartridge cases only fired in the rifle and then only use neck sizing dies ?
The cases would be fire formed to the chamber in question and fit as tight as possible.

Thorax- Redding and others use 12L15 for their die blanks it is much softer than 4140 or 416SS in barrel blanks, they do however surface harden it to 60 RC or so, once you break through the surface hardening with a carbide boring bar it machines easily

Outsidelookinin is right normally a die reamer is smaller than a chamber reamer,David Kiff will make you a matched pair of reamers but the cost goes up and it may be hard to find someone who can heat treat your die blanks without warpage....

Jim Carsten will also make a die from your chamber reamer (he achieves sizing by making a two piece die with a press fit between the die body and the "chamber" that effectively "shrinks" the chamber dimensions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont think that you can cut the dies with the same reamer that is used for the chamber. I think that the dies have to be smaller than the chamber to be able to bump the brass back. I could be full of shit as well but I think that is what I read before. </div></div>
You are spot on. Getting a die created from the chamber reamer is a big no-go. Get a Bisley match reamer for your 175gr bullets. Get a Redding bushing die and you are good to go.

If you know the brass you are going to use and want a custom die, then have Forster custom hone the neck .002-.003" smaller than your loaded neck OD. This is the way to accomplish what I think you are trying to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in the begining stages of a new project rifle. I would like to have the barrel and a set of custom dies cut with the same reamer. Can anyone suggest a reamer. I have a PALMA 95 but I plan on shooting 175. I plan on going through Pacific. Thanks.</div></div>

Buy the reamer from PTG and your dies from Redding. Dave grinds the Reamers that Redding uses, kinda like custom dies for PTG Reamers. That’s the combo I've used in BR Rifles for years with absolutely zero problems.

the reamer we just used on our build came from Dave Kiff @ Ptg. Teh reamer was a .308 Win match Reamer with a .3415 neck throated for 168 smk and 175 smk. Just call dave and tell him what you want or better yet just call and ask for his help

Here is something to consider. Seat a 175 SMK to the desired depth in a new brass case of your choice. Send it to Dave Kiff and have him build a no-neck turn match reamer around it.

I used Lapua brass knowing that is was dimensionally thicker than say Winchester et al.

The resulting custom reamer features the following dimensions:
0.3415 neck diameter
1.5 degree lead angle
0.415 Freebore (for a 0.010 jump)
2.072 Lead
2.292 Throat

Then send your fired brass to Warner Tool for a custom die
http://www.warner-tool.com/reloading.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is something to consider. Seat a 175 SMK to the desired depth in a new brass case of your choice. Send it to Dave Kiff and have him build a no-neck turn match reamer around it.

I used Lapua brass knowing that is was dimensionally thicker than say Winchester et al.

The resulting custom reamer features the following dimensions:
0.3415 neck diameter
1.5 degree lead angle
0.415 Freebore (for a 0.010 jump)
2.072 Lead
2.292 Throat

Then send your fired brass to Warner Tool for a custom die
http://www.warner-tool.com/reloading.htm
</div></div>

That is about the best you can do....it'll cost ya too.
smile.gif

Another option would be to just get a throating reamer made. Cut the chamber with your 95 Palma and then extend the throat to the point that you need for your selected bullet although it should be extremely close as is.

Here's what I did. My rifle is at the smiths right now but before I sent it I fired all of my new brass twice. I then full length resized 2 pieces and made identical dummy rounds reflecting my desired COAL, neck and shoulder dimentions, and the bullet I'll be running. I then sent these 2 rounds to Dave Manson who took measurements and ground my reamer to (min specs, no turn neck .0025 per side) based off of my dummy cartridge. This in essence gives me a custom die at a non custom price matched to my chamber in my new barrel.
I tried not to over think things, gets me in trouble some times
wink.gif