• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Redding dies...can't make up my mind.

Otto

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2009
Texas
Re: 308 Redding dies...can't make up my mind.

I don't know enought about what you're doing to advise one set or the other. I will share what I know from my limited experience.

I've used the type S dies only in .223 and .308, and my experience is that the type S shows a loaded concentricity advantage only with good quality (concentric) brass. If the brass has varying wall thickness, your runout results will likely be no better than with a conventional die.

Where the S die pays for itself for me is getting to dump the expander ball, or keep it but make a very slight neck expansion instead of a heavy one. May allow you to eliminate the case lube on neck dies, and for me that is worth the admission price.

Randy

Re: 308 Redding dies...can't make up my mind.

#1 all the way, add the floating carbide expander with the correct bushing and you'll have a great setup. Yes I use the floating expander, it barely touches and I have concentric loaded ammo.