• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 reloading for semi-auto

filmgear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Charleston, SC
I recently read an article in a magazine that described the differences between 7.62 and .308 rounds which I already understand. The other thing the author mentioned is the difference in headspace which is more concerning. He mentioned that a gas gun chambered for 7.62 would be especially hard on .308 brass because of the headspace difference. It makes sense logically, but since there are a lot of semi-auto owners on this board, I wanted to get real world opinion.

I have an SR-25 that has shot .308 better out of it than 7.62 so I stuck with .308. I also have a GAP-10 on order, along with a F&D FD308 and a JP LRP07. I've collected my own brass comprised of FGMM (7.62 and .308). I'm new to reloading, but I plan on using Varget and 175gr SMK along with these cases.

Question: Should I separate the different brass and reload them in different batches to compare the data or would they be similar enough not to matter?

Question: Will any of my current and future gas guns be especially harder on the .308 cases, than the 7.62 cases?

With .308 cases and match rounds more readily available, I'd like to shoot that exclusively in all my AR-10 format rifles. I only shoot 600yd and 800yd target at the moment, knowing full well I'll eventually go custom bolt gun when I want to go further but I really enjoy shooting the EBR's at the moment.

I would like any first hand advice from gas gun owners on which rounds they prefer and what I can expect by using both cases for my reloads? I have RCBS equipment and will use a FL die to resize. Thanks in advance.

Re: .308 reloading for semi-auto

I have several semi auto 308 rifles. I shoot all of them with Lake City military brass and Sierra 175gr Match bullets. Semi auto's are hard on brass and I want the most life I can get, so I use LC brass.
I run all my semi auto brass through a Small Based FL sizing die. This makes feeding 100%. I get between 5-8 firings before they hit the recycle bin. I also may need to trim 2 or more times.
Nothing beats talking with some NRA Highpower guys that run semi auto's in 7.62/308 Win.
Good luck

In my first production run SR-25 match, I'm lucky to get more than 2 loadings out of Federal brass. This rifle is hard on brass and I have to download a bit from my 308 bolt gun loads for the gas gun. I've put in a Tubbs CWS (carrier weight system) and a Tubbs flat buffer spring, which has helped a little bit. With commercial brass, I've had best results with Remington brass with Winchester and Hornady brass as second best. If you can get any Military brass, it will work better than most commercial brass.

Gas guns in 308 are hard on brass. Some of the newer guns are a little better. The GAP10 and the Les Baer 308 rifles are a bit better on the brass than my rifle.

I have a bunch of LC M80 and XM118LR that I can start shooting up. So you guys are saying that this brass will end up in much better shape and might offer more reloads than any .308 case, right?

I also have 2 boxes of .308 Lapua new brass that is also marked 7.62 on the box. I understand the quality of the Lapua name, but would I still be beating those cases up by shooting in AR-10's or are they high quality enough to get some semi-auto life out of them?

If the answer is no, then i'll just save them for my future custom bolt gun, but dang, I was sure looking forward to loading them.

Thoughts?

For my gas gun, I would NOT use the Lapua brass. I would use it in my bolt guns.
Go ahead and try some of your Federal brass, you may get a few more loadings than I do. Yes, the Military brass would work well. Just don't hot rod the loads. I find I have to go about 2 grains or so less than my bolt loads, otherwise, I stretch the primer pockets out beyond re use. This is with the correct powders in the mid burning range, 4895, 8208 XBR, AR-Comp, RE-15 etc.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've got 308 gassers in Armalite, JP Enterprises and LaRue, many thousands of rounds through each. Doesn't seem to make a bit of difference re brand of brass. 44gr of Varget with 175SMKs loaded to 2.810 does great in all of them.

Brass lasts 8-10 loadings before the rims get chewed up. As mentioned above, a small base FL die (I use Redding) is a good idea in case you've got a chamber a little on the tight side.

When I was still able to participate in highpower matches, I was using an M1A. For the 200- and 300-yard segments, I used LC brass and 168-gr bullets. For the 600-yard slow-fire segment, I used Lapua brass with 175-gr bullets. I did not notice any problems with the semi beating up the Lapua brass. Federal Match brass was a different story. Those lasted about two loadings before the primer pockets went oversize.

Richard

I own and reload for a gap 10 and I too had some lapua cases. I am at 5 loadings now without any issue. Possible the GAP is less tough on the brass? I know some other 308 spit out some ugly brass, but my rifle is working well with the lapua. With it being a semi, I always bump the shoulder .002 and headspacing has yet to be an issue.

All that had been using lapua brass are telling the truth. There is nothing better than lapua brass for semiautos.

I still have 96 out of 100 and have 5 reloads with out having to trim.
Real awesome brass.

My Armalite AR10T used to eat the brass in the second reload but not any more.

Using RCBS AR small base dies.

Just invest in a brass bag, it's kind a hard seeing $.75 on the floor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLIGHT762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For my gas gun, I would NOT use the Lapua brass. I would use it in my bolt guns.
Go ahead and try some of your Federal brass, you may get a few more loadings than I do. Yes, the Military brass would work well. Just don't hot rod the loads. I find I have to go about 2 grains or so less than my bolt loads, otherwise, I stretch the primer pockets out beyond re use. This is with the correct powders in the mid burning range, 4895, 8208 XBR, AR-Comp, RE-15 etc. </div></div>

I don't plan on loading hot since I'm new to reloading, but I plan on trying at least 50 Lapua cases to see what happens. Will advise with range report once I get powder and primers in. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brass lasts 8-10 loadings before the rims get chewed up. As mentioned above, a small base FL die (I use Redding) is a good idea in case you've got a chamber a little on the tight side. </div></div>

Not knowing any better, I bought the RCBS Competition die set. Should I not have bought that? Do you have a model number for the small base FL die?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RG1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was still able to participate in highpower matches, I was using an M1A. For the 200- and 300-yard segments, I used LC brass and 168-gr bullets. For the 600-yard slow-fire segment, I used Lapua brass with 175-gr bullets. I did not notice any problems with the semi beating up the Lapua brass. Federal Match brass was a different story. Those lasted about two loadings before the primer pockets went oversize.

Richard
</div></div>

That explains it. I set up a partner press on a Forster portable reloading table so I could decap all my cases while watching tv with the wife. I noticed that it took very little effort to remove the primer from the FGMM cases, but it took double the effort to remove it from the NATO brass. To get max usage out of the FGMM .308 brass, I should just keep those for my future bolt gun correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recarga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All that had been using lapua brass are telling the truth. There is nothing better than lapua brass for semiautos.

I still have 96 out of 100 and have 5 reloads with out having to trim.
Real awesome brass.

My Armalite AR10T used to eat the brass in the second reload but not any more.

Using RCBS AR small base dies.

Just invest in a brass bag, it's kind a hard seeing $.75 on the floor. </div></div>

I have a brass bag already. Makes a world of difference although I fidget with it to get the positioning right. No need to trim the Lapua brass with 5 reloads? That's encouraging to hear.