• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 reloading Max Load?

Big ED

Big ED
Minuteman
I bought a Remington 700 .308 win 26" 1:12 tube, it has been built up with HS Precision, Harris, TPS steal rings one piece base, SWFA 12x scope custom bolt knob. Built this up for a 1000 yard rifle. The rifle shot 168smk's very well but I know the 175's do better out to 1000y, so I loaded up some 175's smk starting with 42 grains of varget and worked all the way up to 47 grains, (Hodgdon states 45gr max) the lower charge 42-43 shot very well they opened up from 43-46 but at 47 grains they tightened up, there were no signs of excessive pressure, primes good, not ejector marks, extracted easy. I only loaded three at 47gr and was shooting them at 200 yards and was very excited with the results. Does any one else have experience loading 308's this hot? Am I nuts? I'm looking for just one load to shoot from this 308. Below 200 yard target and my video review of this rifle.
Varget.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yIg0aTGr6o&list=UUj40OmfuZboLIZYesETWxEQ

What was the out side temp when you did your testing, If it was cold like in video the load might be to much in the hotter temps. I did have a load at 46.5 and a 168 berger in a sps but I worked it up on a hot and humid Georgia day. No pressure signs and good brass life.

47 grains is quite high. Remington factory throats are very long and allow a lot of free-bore jump.

Glad to see you shoot with eye protection.

Should look into a brake for it.Also a bubble level for the scope

If you are going to shoot a lot of the 175's you should at least try a pound of RL-17. I think you will find you get much better (consistent) velocity, and the slightly slower burn rate really seems to work well with the 175's and heavier.... I shoot a lot of 208 AMAX in my 308's and need the RL-17 for that, but once I developed a load for the 175's and 178's with RL-17, I was blown away. its a much better powder for 308 than most people are aware of I feel.

You are using a load well over published specs, Hodgdon's list 45 for 175's with Varget and 46 grains with 168's. Not sure if you are seating them long and single loading or not, but in the end that much pressure will not do well with the brass. Even though you do not have ejector marks or flat primers, I cant see the primer pockets lasting that long before primers start falling out.

Velocity is great but not at the expense of brass life.

I would keep working the OCW, there has to be a node right at 44.5-44.8 (for the 175's)

I seat 175s fairly long and using Lapua brass I'm crunching powder at 45 gr. Of Varget. I never show any signs of pressure using 44.3, even at 100 degrees outside temp but I agree with Boogaloo on the RL 17. I could fill my case up to a compressed load and still didn't have signs of pressure but my rifle likes 175s better than the heavies and Varget does great with the 175s. Most folks find that sweet spot with Varget between 44 and 45 grs.

I found that 45gr of Varget to be just right with no sign of pressure or bolt stick. I am getting an AVG FPS of 2648. I did test 20 loads and my low FPS was 2639 and my high FPS was 2657. I am using Berger 175's and Federal brass CCI BR2.