• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 reloading questions?

Vektus

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Idaho
First i just joined i just bought a hornady lock n load classic kit! And im wanting to reload 155, 168, and 178 grain hornady amax bullets and just wondering what powder and primers to use and how deep do you seat you bullets? I have a savage axis .308 (obvious lol) its a 22" barrell and a 1-10" twist. All help is appreciated.

Re: .308 reloading questions?

A lot of folks load to an OAL around 2.800" so it will fit it the magazine. Have you measured to figure out the max headspace/ogive in your particular rifle? Have you tried factory ammo to see which of those bullets shoots best in your rifle? If you read through the threads in the Reloading section you will see a ton f threads with recipes that include primer brand and OAL.

Currently I am using H4895 powder. It is my go to powder for my 308/30-06 bolt and semi autos and I like it because it works across the board in all my rifles and is temperature insensitive. I generally use an OAL around 2.810. I have been using CCI primers of late since that is what I have.

+1 on the 4895. That's a great powder to start with. It typically gives decent accuracy from start to upper mid range charges. It's probably the best powder for the 155 amax in 308.

Use standard large rifle primers. Whatever brand you can find...

Use the OAL from your manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty Rod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of folks load to an OAL around 2.800" so it will fit it the magazine. Have you measured to figure out the max headspace/ogive in your particular rifle? Have you tried factory ammo to see which of those bullets shoots best in your rifle? If you read through the threads in the Reloading section you will see a ton f threads with recipes that include primer brand and OAL. </div></div>
I have not measured but i will today. And i have not shot any yet but i have alot of different grain and brands of ammo im gonna try to shoot soon. i know people that have the same gun that uses that exact ammo and say it works good so thats what im gonna start with if it doesnt work good ill go from there. And Ill look up threads about .308 reloading.
So thanks all for the help i really appreciated!

The 178 amaxes will work well. I'm a fan of Varget, its very consistent. I messed with my seating depth and shooting in different temperatures and while it didn't hold single digit SDs it was only at 15fps SD after the changes. I think that's pretty good.

I load mine to 2.200" measured to the Ogive.

I load my 308s from 2.820"-2.850", 155AMAXs are seated to the later, 168s the former. I use 47grs RE15 with the 155s,(Win brass) and 47grs 2000MR or CFE223(Lapua brass) with the 168s, very accurate loads in my 700 SPSS.

I load my 175 Sierras to 2.236 inches to the ogive. But to figure out where your rifle shoots best, you will need to find where the throat is located.

You MUST find the throat in your rifle. They are all different. I shoot 155 A-max's with 46 gr of Varget .005 off the lands. I have a 26" barrel and get 2910fps.

I load 168 & 178 AMAX for my LR-308 semi. I have run OCW tests using IMR 4064, H4896, Varget & CFE223. I have attained 3/4 MOA or under at 100 Yards with any of those powders, the 178's with CFE223. CCI BR2's, rem #9 1/2, Win LRP's

IMR 4064 provides me outstanding ES/SD, and I mean ES's of 5 FPS +2/-1, Varget not really greatest ES/SD. H4895 great accuracy & good ES/SD better than Varget.

These bullets in my barrel like 2.810 the most, after running seating depths.

CFE223 I like to run under the 178 to get some more speed out of my 16" JP Supermatch. That one turns out to be good for accuracy and awesome ES/SD, almost as good as the 4064 that I run with the 168's.

Again thanks for all the help ill measure everything and find the throat of my rifle as soon as i can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flintlock Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You MUST find the throat in your rifle. They are all different. I shoot 155 A-max's with 46 gr of Varget .005 off the lands. I have a 26" barrel and get 2910fps. </div></div>
Hey you live in spokane awesome thats like 20 minutes from me.

What do you all prefer 155, 168, or 178 a-max's?

Word of caution. Some of the loads listed above particularly for Varget and R-15 are on the upper end of the pressure scale and might be advisable to start lower and work your way up looking for signs of over pressure especially if you will be running them through a gas gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cypher23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again thanks for all the help ill measure everything and find the throat of my rifle as soon as i can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flintlock Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You MUST find the throat in your rifle. They are all different. I shoot 155 A-max's with 46 gr of Varget .005 off the lands. I have a 26" barrel and get 2910fps. </div></div>
Hey you live in spokane awesome thats like 20 minutes from me.

What do you all prefer 155, 168, or 178 a-max's? </div></div>

I really dont feel it's necessary to find the lands, or should I say seat your bullets close to the lands, the 155 & 168AMAXs I shoot are .10"(10/100ths) or more off the lands and the rifle shoots great for a factory rig. Best 5 shot group to date right here. This load didnt fair too well as 600, 47grs CFE223 did much better.
IMG_0446-1.jpg

Hornady A-max 168gr
44.0gr Varget
2.005 case trim
2.80 COL
CCI BR-2 Large Rifle primers

DPMS LR-308 18" bbl and Ops Inc 12th Model Suppressor

0.50MoA repeatable groups, with occasional 0.375MoA groups (1.75" at 500 yards)

(I gotts the targets to prove it)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady A-max 168gr
44.0gr Varget
2.005 case trim
2.80 COL
CCI BR-2 Large Rifle primers

DPMS LR-308 18" bbl and Ops Inc 12th Model Suppressor

0.50MoA repeatable groups, with occasional 0.375MoA groups (1.75" at 500 yards)

(I gotts the targets to prove it)

</div></div>

I tried that load and it looked like I had been shooting OO buckshot once I was done shooting my group. Tried Varget in my 700 Classic stocked 308 with similar results. RE15/CFE23/2000MR was always better.

1.) i use this <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">bullet comparator set</span></span> & <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">gage</span></span> & <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">modified case</span></span> for each TYPE of BULLET used for that particular rifle's OGIVE distance to the rifle's lands with the particular bullet you're trying to reload, and then seat bullet about .010 to .015 (set back is totally up to you = your homework!!) back from your ogive measurement using the tools below. Almost a must have tools IMO for bolt actions and I still use on my semi-auto to verify. The straight (not curved) gage will still work in most ar-15's and ar-10's (just clears ar-10). With a BOLT ACTION (NOT semi-auto), ONCE YOU ARE MORE ADVANCED reloader, some will even set the bullet depth while reloading so the bullet's ogive will touch the rifle lands (do NOT do this with a semi-auto OR someone starting out with reloading). Different bullets will have different measurements AND different rifles will have different measurements:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231904/...-with-6-inserts

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/570611/..._vc=sugv1231904

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/459683/..._vc=sugv1570611

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvsEsaK8...re=results_main

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/977259.htm

if the bullet gets stuck on the lands when using the tools above / getting your measurements, then i just use my cleaning snake (will not damage the rifle crown, use string / brass weight end of snake) to knock the bullet back off the lands, works every time. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398345/...300-303-caliber

2.) would start out with standard CCI #200 OR BR-2 large rifle primers. Stay away from magnum large rifle primers for now.

3.) always check the amount of powder to load with your bullet manufacture's load charts. Start out on the low end of the chart and work your way up the chart. As starting out with reloading, do NOT go over max load and do NOT start with max load. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">As for pure example only</span></span> with sierra bullets: http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/f/sierra308Win.pdf

4.) as for finding your particular rifle / bullet PET load that HARMONIZES the best with your rifle's barrel...... well, that is a whole differnt topic in itself. My semi-auto LMT MWS LOVES 168gr amax, with 40.5 varget, and cci 200 primers. It is all trial and effort type stuff.

5.) i usually trim my 308 brass to 2.007ish... most books will say to trim to 2.005ish. I'll even use brass down to 2.000. Consistancy = accuracy!! I shoot out of a semi-auto and I always full-length resize my brass, but some if not many bolt-action reloaders will "neck" size only. This is totally up to you. The more you work the brass = less brass life. As for trimming my FULL LENGTH resized brass 24/7, I like to use this for trimming (one bad ass little tool, saves LOADS OF TIME, but only works IF you full length resize brass as it works off the brass shoulder): http://www.midwayusa.com/product/119117/...-308-winchester

6.) ALWAYS check your re-sized brass headspace as someone starting out with reloading! Myself, I like to use the wilson case gage. Works great for bolt actions, but you can get false readings with semi-auto's as semi's are so hard on the brass (beat up ejector base on the brass and so on):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/880646/le-wilson-case-length-headspace-gage-308-winchester

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkWQde_b2G8

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479704/...with-comparator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-UrMTyJ1_E

WELCOME TO THE MONEY PIT!! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cypher23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First i just joined i just bought a hornady lock n load classic kit! And im wanting to reload 155, 168, and 178 grain hornady amax bullets and just wondering what powder and primers to use and how deep do you seat you bullets? I have a savage axis .308 (obvious lol) its a 22" barrell and a 1-10" twist. All help is appreciated. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
I tried that load and it looked like I had been shooting OO buckshot once I was done shooting my group. Tried Varget in my 700 Classic stocked 308 with similar results. RE15/CFE23/2000MR was always better. </div></div>

I forgot to add....you have to be wearing the proper type of hat.
smile.gif

That's what makes this art, as much as it is science.

You all helped alot and thank you!

And elfster1234 wow just wow thats alot of info thank you sooo much. And i can see it will cost alot haha