• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 rem-700 throat depth

Gene Poole

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Brighton, IL
I just recently borrowed a friends Sinclair throat depth gauge and I was surprised at how deep my chamber's neck was. I was so surprised that I tried it out on a couple of other guns. All of them were on the order of 2.045:

IMAG0288.jpeg

Is this typical? Am I doing something wrong?

Re: .308 rem-700 throat depth

I have been meaning to check mine. I guess you won’t need to be trimming any time soon, lol.

My SPS with factory barrrel, chamber measured 2.051. Custom barrel was 2.027. Another example of "being safe" I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crewchef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another example of "being safe" I guess. </div></div>

Bingo!

In fact, if I seat my bullets buy the book I've got .13" jump! Talk about a long "safe" chamber...

I'm just SHOCKED that I've shot sub 5 MOA groups with it...you'd think with that much jump the accuracy wouldn't be that good... I think it's more of a testament to a SMK bullet than the rifle though.

hmm. guess i need to get a gauge, having a little trouble finding one. anyone care to shoot me a link for .308win?

Be careful w/ it and make sure to read instructions. I trimmed case shorter than recommended, better safe than sorry on this one.