• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 remington brass

Re: 308 remington brass

I have 15 loads on my Remy brass. I don't load real hot but for target shooting out to 500yds I don't know if you'll tell a diference.

I reloaded and shot a few hundred of these a while back. I was shooting out to 800 yards with it with no problems. The most I ever reloaded it was twice so I'm not sure how it holds up when you starting getting into the fourth or fifth time. I resized every piece of it and had to trim most of it, but other than that, it was good stuff.

ive got batches of it in the 4th and 5th reload, and they are loaded with 43.5 4064 so its a stout load and i have a batch of nickel rp's that are on their 6th reload but i lose 2 or 3 each firing to split necks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ive got batches of it in the 4th and 5th reload, and they are loaded with 43.5 4064 so its a stout load and i have a batch of nickel rp's that are on their 6th reload but i lose 2 or 3 each firing to split necks</div></div>

similar load to mine 43gr of 4064 for 165's, 44gr for 110 vmax.

haven't had any problems with the remington brass, and is usually plentiful. i toss 'em after the 5th shot because of the availablity. seems to outnumber winc. and fed. on the "look what i found at the range" catagory.

i like frontier brass and hornady .308 match also, but a little harder to scrape up at the range.

Remmy brass with 42.5 and 43.0 I-4064 over 168 Nos Comps; AR and bolt guns respectively. Trimming after the 3rd reload and FL size, all of it. As expected, the AR beats it up more, but I'm a range brass guy too, so I don't care. Primer pockets start to go after about the 6th reloading.

Have some once fired Win brass from the white box 7.62, gonna see how or if it's any more durable. When guys stop thowing away their once fired cases, I'll buy some of that high class (Lapua) brass I hear about here.

No problems here with Rem brass either, I shoot F class too.

I have never had any problem with Remington brass either but I suspect it is like everything else, shoot hot loads in big chambers, size it in tight dies and your mileage is going to be low.
If you stress relieve the necks, stay off the hot loads and heavy bullets you will get better mileage.
If you are doing everything right you should never get a split neck. Now a loose primer pocket is a different program. When they start to get loose get some Wolfe primers, they are larger than ours and will let you shoot cases a few more times.
I shot 40 gr. 4895/ 168s for many years which gave me long barrel life, excellent accuracy and good case life.
If you plan on shooting alot you might consider your own chamber reamer with min dimensions. Personally I get my 308 reamers with a .469" base dimension, .339/.340 neck dimension and .025" freebore. This will require that you seat bullets to a shorter OAL for about 500 to 1000 rounds until the throat burns away allowing longer OAL. This gives me about an extra 1500/2000 rounds of barrel life.

Take a section of old barrel stock about one inch long and have your personal reamer run into it until the neck section almost comes out other end. Face off the front of this leaving the end of the neck section in tact and you have a case gage so you can try all your reloads in this gage before going to range. Since it is same chamber for the gage and barrel you know if you have a potential problem condition before you go to range.
You can also rotate fired cases in this "gage" to see how much offset there might be due to neck wall variation. It is not uncommon to find brass with .005" neck wall variation and this will show you how good your brass is as well.

And finally you can use it as a chamber case gage. Slide the "gage" over front of case and measure distance from base of case to front of gage. Size your case and repeat and you can tell exactly how much your should sets back and you know exactly where you are.

I have a batch of brass that is on its 6th firing. I shoot an average of 45 grains of varget( depending on bullet). I have only resized it three times, otherwise I use my Lee neck sizer. It is holding up fine and last weekend with my 168 SMK load I shot a 5 shot group 1.205 C to C at 300 yds. When I check neck run out, almost all of it is .002 or less.
I am happy with it.
SScott