• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 rifle buy

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I was looking at the FN A1a SPR .308 20"bbl rifles. Im thinking about buying, nice stuff for the price. Does anyone have any suggestions on this rifle? Good-Bad? Accurate?
Anybody have any pics of one custom done or stock?
I just always see people trying to re-sell them. That cant be a good thing but people are selling anything these days so you never know.
I have only seen them in the color black tho. Wonder if you have stock color option? Probly not.

Re: .308 rifle buy

I'm pretty happy with my A1a. I bought it from another 'Hide member and have since had some work done to it. Mods include:

Rifle Basix trigger (done before I got it)
CDI mag system
SAS muzzle brake / direct suppressor mount (waiting on paperwork for the can)
Pillar / Devcon bedded
Badger bolt knob

I topped it with Seekins rings and a USO SN3 3.2-17. I'm really liking the combo so far. With minimal load development I'm getting about .75" 5 shot groups. That is with 175 SMKs and IMR 4895. All I've done so far is play with different charge weights, haven't tried different bullet / powder combos yet.

I've read various accounts of some of the SPR barrels having problems with the chrome lining flaking off, affecting accuracy. I don't know if that was just a bad run or what. I've also read many glowing accounts from various owners. At just under 1000 rounds, I haven't experienced any accuracy drop off that would suggest issues with the chrome lining. I personally like the concept of the chrome lining, so my fingers are crossed that I don't have any issues with it. Cleaning is extremely easy with it, and the barrel should have significantly longer life.

This search link was recently posted in another thread. There's lots of reading on the SPRs, and most of the information should apply to any of the models:
SnipersHide / Google search - FN SPR

A couple pics of my rifle:
DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg