• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 rifle options

miss november

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2013
I am in the market for a higher end gas 308. I will be shooting suppressed more often than not, so I want to keep my barrel length short, probably 16". I have been looking hard at the GAP10 and others such as LWRC, Larue, Hogan, and SCAR. Accuracy is my main objective but also want the rifle to be reliable with various ammunition. Eventually will be hand loading also. Any first hand experience with these rifles or similar ones would be greatly appreciated, with so many options out there I want to make the best decision possible especially with spending 3000 plus. Thank you.

I don't have much to add as far as the brand - but once you decide what it is you want I recommend watching the Firearms For Sale thread here or the individual vendor site (such as GAP's ready to ship rifle page) for a week or two. If you order today vs waiting a couple weeks while watching for one to popup its a drop in the bucket of a 10+ month build.

I'm 8 months into my wait and I've seen almost exact copies of what I ordered go by a couple times. If it really is a toss-up for you brand wise it is just that much more likely you will see it popup. Just my opinion - if you want the new car smell or feel more comfortable buying new by all means do that.

I like the new car smell. Don't mind the wait, it hopefully should be worth it

I really enjoy my 18" dmr repr. It shoots sub moa, eats anything and would be perfect for a suppressor if I had the itch.

The RRA LAR8 varmint guns are consistently shooting sub-MOA. Like mine so far. Rock River is nice to deal with and helpful with any problems although I have had only one small one in 3 weapons. I have the Varmint A4 LAR8 w/ 26" SS Cryo-Treated Bull Barrel. It is long.......and heavy....i bet almost 15 lbs with a long range scope, the Magpul PRS, and full magazine......but has a great two stage trigger, is very accurate, has been reliable and did not cost more than my car.

Smcarrol, was there much adjustment for you going to a side charger

I like it a lot. I am able to keep my right hand on the gun and keep the gun on target while I work the charging handle. I wish it folded down though. I still enjoy my m1 and Soviet semi autos but the repr is all business.

Mine was ordered last Dec amongst the panic, had it in 5 months. Per their website, they are currently 8 - 18 weeks on an LRP-07.

My bet is if you ordered a JP, it will show up closer to 8 than 18 weeks.

No love for the CMMG Mk3 CBR? For the price it seems like a lot of rifle there just are not many reviews on accuracy and reliability.

My SCAR17 with my handloads and match grade bullets is getting .75moa and with basic 150fmjbt bullets it's 1.5moa. What's not to like about an 8lb SA piston rifle that eats everything. It has a 30k barrel and a 90k chassis. The only upgrade necessary on some of the SCARs is a Geissele trigger. When I mount my suppressor I only need to flip the gas adjuster on the front and it still runs perfectly.

There are allot of good choices out there.

I'll add another +1 for the JP LRP-07.
I never fired a precision semi-auto rifle until I purchased my LRP.

This is day one with off the shelf Federal FGMM 168 gr right after firing 18 run of the mill break-in FMJ rounds.
Its only going to get better from here as I learn how to handle it.

My SR-25 EC is a sub moa tackdriver and is rugged as hell! Yes the the KAC guns are higher in price but are tough, solid performers.

Speedster, do you own the tango 8. I'm a little Leary of a company so new, with the same claims that they make the best rifles. Also with no dealers in my home state it could be hard to get a hold of one.

Speedster, do you own the tango 8. I'm a little Leary of a company so new, with the same claims that they make the best rifles. Also with no dealers in my home state it could be hard to get a hold of one.

I don't personally have one...Ive put my hands on one and seen various range reports on them. Expensive for sure.

GAP-10

images

GAP 10 it is. Just have to decide on options and color. How good is the standard GAP trigger or should I upgrade to a geissele. I want to run suppressed so I know that I need the switch block and threaded barrel. Any thoughts on barrel length, majority of shooting will be inside 800 yards.

GAP 10 it is. Just have to decide on options and color. How good is the standard GAP trigger or should I upgrade to a geissele. I want to run suppressed so I know that I need the switch block and threaded barrel. Any thoughts on barrel length, majority of shooting will be inside 800 yards.

I'm pretty happy with the standard trigger they use. It's a very good trigger. But I may upgrade to a Geissele just because. If you have any plans to buy a Surefire suppressor, they can get and install the new SOCOM brake for you. I went with an 18" barrel because it's a happy medium between short enough but not too short. I plan to hunt and punch paper with mine so shorter was better for me.

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet looking rig, the 18 in barrel looks good. I will also be hunting with mine and would like it to be as maneuverable as possible without giving up too much down range. Have to think about the trigger, part of me says just upgrade now and be done with it.

check out the jp lrp-07 guns. Much shorter wait than gap and very well made

i would agree with this^^!!!

Even their entry level jp-15 is top notch!!

Rifles ready to ship and my custom order was out of the factory and on my doorstep in 2 months. Great customer service as well!

Sweet looking rig, the 18 in barrel looks good. I will also be hunting with mine and would like it to be as maneuverable as possible without giving up too much down range. Have to think about the trigger, part of me says just upgrade now and be done with it.

Yeah, it'll be fun to hunt with when I leave the screwy state of VA. But it's heavy as a mofo! I definitely won't be doing a lot of walking hunting with it. Mostly just walking to a treestand or a ground blind.

+1 for POF P308. I have the 14.5" NP3 model and its a tack driver. I've been seeing them sell in the $2200-$2450 range lately NIB.