• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 308 Savage, SAS can, barrel length?

MitchInOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
Oregon, Willamette Valley
OK, I have the funds to purchase a suppressor and am looking at the SAS titanium can.
I plan on using it on my AR15 and my Savage 10fp, A-3 stock with factory barrel.
My 308 shoots 5/8"-100yds and probably could do 1/2" if I wasn't such a lame ass. I regularly shoot to 1000yds and can extend my targets to 1200 or so.
My question is should I cut down the barrel on my Savage when I get it threaded.
I stopped by and talked to the guys at Tornado Tech today and they recommended not going below 20" and if I didn't plan on carrying it maybe not cut it down at all.
I shoot in the field and walk 1/4 mile or so. Not very far. I also shoot right from my truck.
I was thinking of cutting a couple inches to off set the suppressor weight but don't want to lose velocity.
Should I go with 20" or 22" or just leave it alone?
One more question, does anyone have experience with Tornado Technology? Do they do good work as far as treading and to re-crown my barrel? I want to quiet my rifle, but don't want to lose any accuracy.
What say the Hide?

Re: 308 Savage, SAS can, barrel length?

If you aren't walking through brush I would leave it alone. If you do want to cut it, don't go less than 20".

I have no experience and have not head anything about Tornado Tech.

Tornado technologies is top notch. I have used them numerous times and have always been completely satisfied. As far as cutting the barrel, I usually hunt with a 16" .308 but it is no 1000 yrd. rifle. 20"-22" will be fine on a heavy barrel.

I took my 10FP from a 24" to a 22" when I bought my SAS. I don't think it made much difference. Still shoots great.

Thanks for all the opinions. Would be glad to hear more.

I'm still undecided. I do think I will go with Tornado Tech as they are local. They do things in batches and said they will give me a call when they are doing a run on my type of work.

Here's ya a teaser pic til you get your can...
grin.gif

DSC_0411-1.jpg

I agree with the above. Keep it long if you won't be dragging it around. The extra length will help you stay super sonic as long as possible as well.

22" barrel, launching 185 VLD's, still supersonic @1k.

Well you can't go wrong with TT, Mike is great and can thread without removing the barrel from the receiver.
As far as a SAS can, I have had some issues with getting the threads right. It has been in the safe waiting to get "fixed" for the 3rd trip to the MFGR. Not trying to bash him but I'm so pissed after the 1st trip can only barrel issue = NOT, 2nd trip can and barrel , He "fixed"- NOT RECUT- my threads on my barrel and wanted $75.00, same problem , endcap strike , I didn't pay him, then I had TT thread it correctly. Haven't even tried on paper as with a large strike seems a waste of time. He has offered to do it AGAIN but now it is my fault as I am getting tired of paying shipping to him for stuff that I shouldn't have needed to send ,let alone 3 times.

I have a SAS can and a AAC 7.62SD and am on the East side of Portland if interested in testing them side by side.
NoHair