• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Seating Depth/Load question

DosMeadowlandos

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2009
Connecticut
Hey All,

I've just started loading a practice load and have run into a sticky spot...

The load in question is a .308 Win load using REM brass, WIN LR primers and IMR 3031 powder pushing a Hornady 150gr FMJ w/cannelure.

The Hodgdon site has the following load data that I was going to start with...

40.2gr - COL 2.800" - VEL 2658 - Pressure 44,300 psi

The issue I'm coming against is that if I seat to 2.800" the cannelure is above the top of the brass (trimmed to 2.005"). Once I get this batch fired I will measure my chamber and trim my brass to that length.

To get a decent crimp on the cannelure I have seated the bullet to 2.699". I also have measured a factory Remington UMC 150gr round and it using a similar bullet has a COL of 2.697".

Am I in risk of overly high pressure starting at the lowest end of the published load at this seating depth?

Thanks,

Jake

Re: .308 Seating Depth/Load question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JakeB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I in risk of overly high pressure starting at the lowest end of the published load at this seating depth?</div></div>
No, but why are you crimping? There's no need to crimp them.

Re: .308 Seating Depth/Load question

Forget where the cannelure is and just seat it long then jam it into your rifle to find your chamber specs. I typically do this with a sized empty case with a used primer for safety reasons. Use a comparator to measure the length and seat your bullets to that depth. Pressure should not be a problem if you're starting out with a light load. Like Chad said, don't crimp. Crimping is really only necessary with mag fed guns.

You might consider reading some of the sticky articles on reloading also.