• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 308 semi auto mag dimensions

Wild_Bill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2007
Victoria Australia
Hi there i posted about an AR10 mag to get the dimensions could anyone please measure their mags on the following at the top the length and width of the mags on the outside so i can make a detachable mag setup on my rem using a detachable mag.

AR10
M1A?M14
SLR/FAL
SR25.

I think i am starting to lean to the M1A mags as they have the latch at the back so it should be easier to machine a funnel and mag release for it.

I only need the external dimensions so i can see if it will work.

Re: 308 semi auto mag dimensions

Anyone have an AR10 or M14 that can measure the width and length of their mag for me?

Their has to be someone with one?

Hey Wild Bill,

I just measured an AR10 magazine and this is what i got.

Going from the front to back (bullet to primer)

width
.92 bullet end
.99 middle of mag
1.025 primer end

length

all these are in inches and i hope that this helps

Gen 2 Armalite:

Width front 0.925"
Width back 1.023"
Length 2.985" (not including groove for bolt stop)
Length (including bolt stop groove) 3.080"

(note: On the FAL mags, there is a rib that runs along the right side of the magazine. Lengths with and without rib are included)

Inch pattern FAL:

Width front 0.980"
Width back 0.985"
Length without rib 3.042"
Length with rib 3.138"

Metric FAL:

Width front 0.971"
Width back 0.995"
Length without rib 3.055"
Length with rib 3.155"

Sorry, but don't have any of the others. From what I understand, the M14 mags should be the same as the AR10.

Also, I tried feeding rounds from an FAL mag using the bolt of a 700, and I think there's potential for the case head to get pushed down and let the bolt skip over the top of it. The AR10 or M14 mags would probably be the best way to go.

Thanks that waws awsome i apreciate your help now to measure the model7 action to see if i can make them fit then get the mags to work.

It is a 7mm Rem SAUM so i will try to get some armalite SAUM followers.

Just measured the action
Front .850
rear .990
length 2.940

So it looks like M14 or armalite mags will be best as i can widen the cutout on the mill but the length is more of an issue as it is a Model7 and they dont have the extra length before the trigger cut out.

now i just have to see wether it will be easier to use an armalite side release button or a rear latch like a M14, The M14 would be easier to make but the Armalite will be take up les room. for either then the M14 mags would work with the rear tab removed with a slot cut into them and use an AR10 type button.

I am looking at the astionn and trigger and the more i look at it i am thinking the M14 with a lever that is spring loaded would be the easiest to make work.

Thanks again guys for yout help and time now i have some 10 and 20 shot mage getting sent to a friend there int he US and he will try to get AR10 SAUM followers and change them for me before posting them here then i can work the release system out.

It may actually be easier to do an AR10 style release, since it pretty much amounts to a hole and a slot. You could just get the factory Armalite parts and drop them right in.

Sounds like a fun project.

i would try armalite hope it works for you, if it does be sure to post some pictures

i am searching around and think the mag release for the AR15 will work does any one have an AR15 mag they can measure the width for me??

Thanks again i will post pics. I am also finishing my SMLE converted to 45ACP with AR forend, A2 grip Hbar but and a lot of other parts.

The semi auto mags you are asking about are stagger feed. Look how an AR and M1a bolt are shaped on the bottom. You will notice they go thru and under the lips of the mag. You will most likely need to mod your bolt for them.

500_phantom_bolt1_small.jpg

images