• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 SMK BTHP vs Amax what say ye?

Re: 308 SMK BTHP vs Amax what say ye?

I get better accuracy with 168gr AMAX and 178gr AMAX in my 308 GAP and M1A's as well as an FN SPR 300 WSM the SMK. This goes for factory loads and reloads, the AMAX just shoots substantially better in some of them than others.
I still get good accuracy in SMK but the accuracy is better in the AMAX in all of my rifles.

I get at least as good accuracy out of the AMAX and much better terminal performance on game. AMAX's are all I shoot out of the 308

My Thunder Ranch loves the 178 AMaxes.

175 smk shot better than the 178 amax out of my remmy 700 when load testing but only by a very small amount. It's possible I was just shooting better that day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akjaeger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get at least as good accuracy out of the AMAX and much better terminal performance on game. AMAX's are all I shoot out of the 308 </div></div>

This, they flat out kill.

Last time I bought SMK's, they varied into the tenths of inches in length and several grains in weight. Sierra invited me to send them back and they'd refund me. I sent them....they did nothing.

Haven't had that issue with AMAXes.