• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

308 subs? On filler.

ARMED-PILOT

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2005
OH
I just tried some subs with trail boss.
Load
10.8 grains trail boss
180 grain roundnose
CCI br 2
Winchester brass

Velocity was all over the place for 5 rounds.

My question? Would some type of filler help increase consistency?
If it would, what to use as a filler?

Re: 308 subs? On filler.

Many suggest some sort of wadding would help; others say it adds problem potential. I've never needed it so I don't have a personal opinion. This LINK gives you a starting position to start looking at it until someone betters answers the question.

I've used fillers with reduced cast bullet loads, but never jacketed. Precision Reloading sells a shotshell buffer I've had good luck with. Dacron pillow stuffing works well. Some guys use Cream of Wheat.

I prefer the shotshell buffer as it can be dispensed with a powder measure. Much faster than stuffing Dacron in with a pencil.

Remember, whatever you use is the same as adding that much weight to the bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARMED-PILOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Velocity was all over the place for 5 rounds.</div></div>
With subs you have to pay closer attention to case prep, powder and primer combos, over std loads.
If your looking for match performance from subs, it can be done but, the slightest mistake is magnified, do to such low working pressure.
I am way more careful loading subs than any other rd.

I can tell you with great certanty that your velocity spread is due to non-consistant neck tention. all the testing my friends and I have done yeilded the best results with neck turned and anealed brass with abou .002 of neck tention.

Thanks for the replies.I will try neck turning some brass and increase the neck tension.