• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 subs?

SB545

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
After 2 decades I've circled back around to own a 308 once again. Cost of ammo and availability was a factor. Now that I have it, it'd be nice to get the most out of it that I can. That led me to think about shooting subsonic while suppressed. I have a couple weeks while I wait on some threads. In the meantime I'd appreciate any tips to cut the learning curve down and get me headed in the right direction looking for components.

By .308 I take that as meaning 308 Win. I've never loaded subs in that cartridge but the principle is still the same.

Also it would be nice to know the platform that you shoot from. If it's a bolt action your life will be much easier.

With a 308 you really need to watch your case fill, which means you will be limited to specific powders.

If you can get your hands on some trailboss then buy it as a good starting point.

It's a really bulky powder that will generate the velocity you desire. If you have too much empty space inside of the case you will get powder shift. What that means is your velocity will shift in huge swings even if you have the same charge in every case. One round might be 1300 fps and the next 900fps. This is caused by the space inside the case allowing the powder to move around as the gun moves.

To fight or prevent that you need a powder that will fill up enough space to prevent it from happening.

1:8 twist for best results. 1:10 twist is doable is you want to stay with 175.
Lapua 200 fmjbt or Hornady 208 Amax over trailboss is absolutely the best combo.
VV tinstar can also give good results but doesn’t fill the case as much. I always get lower SD with Trailboss. Actually I get so much better results with my subsonic 308 that I’m thinking about rechambering my 300blk anTi to 308.
I use Redding bushing dies and Lapua brass for better neck tension.
Get a good scale. I use a charge master with an external DC battery pack and then reweight with a gempro using rechargeable AAA. Dirty AC power makes these cheap scales drift and an extra 0.1-0.2gr will increase your velocity a good 10-20fps.
Get a really good chrono. Start high 1200fps) and work your way down.
Play with seating depth. Some bullets like the 200 subsonic fmjbt and 208 amax aren’t sensitive to jump so loading them short might improve the case fill and make it more accurate and consistent.

Also expect a huge poi shift at 100 yards between super and subsonic. Mine is as much as 3mils and 0.5 mils right.

By .308 I take that as meaning 308 Win. I've never loaded subs in that cartridge but the principle is still the same.

Also it would be nice to know the platform that you shoot from. If it's a bolt action your life will be much easier.

With a 308 you really need to watch your case fill, which means you will be limited to specific powders.

If you can get your hands on some trailboss then buy it as a good starting point.

It's a really bulky powder that will generate the velocity you desire. If you have too much empty space inside of the case you will get powder shift. What that means is your velocity will shift in huge swings even if you have the same charge in every case. One round might be 1300 fps and the next 900fps. This is caused by the space inside the case allowing the powder to move around as the gun moves.

To fight or prevent that you need a powder that will fill up enough space to prevent it from happening.
yes, 308 win in a tikka t3x, which is a slow 11 twist. i've seen trailboss recently on the shelf but passed by.

yes, 308 win in a tikka t3x, which is a slow 11 twist. i've seen trailboss recently on the shelf but passed by.
It might still works but really important to start in the 1100-1200fps and work your way down and absolutely you’ll need to use Trailboss and make sure your bullets are stable in the 1050fps range before putting a can on.
Depending on your environment, you might be marginally stable and some projectiles might keyhole.

But you’ll see, once you get it figured out, it’s a ton of fun to take to the 200-300 yards with steel, plus it’ll teach you really good trigger discipline in order to be accurate.

At 1:11 twist you might be better off with the 167-168 grain bullets which still gives you a good fill rate (70-75%) with 10.5gr of trailboss but at 20in or whatever you barrel length it, you'll most likely be in the transonic range.

All in all it's a delicate balance, if you lower the weight to stay stable, then you need to lower the powder charge which will give you pretty big velocity swings.

That's why I'll never get rid of my 1:8 twist 16in DTA barrel. It's accurate enough with supersonic 175+ like FGMM and I can load subsonic all the way to 240gr and easily get single digit SD because my case is full.

Last edited:
Reactions: SB545
If possible, good cast bullets tend to make this work best most of the time. Coated if through a can you cannot clean well. Remember to do all testing without can, and check for stability of bullet!

Slower twists are fine, just go lighter on bullet. Smaller bullets need less powder and tend to be quieter using things like red dot or unique.

Trail boss is probably best for this application thanks to its awesome case fill. With 200ish jacketed usually around 10 or 11 grains gets you close. If you want quiet, keep it under 1000fps... less flight noise on most bullets as far as i can tell. Hollow points, not match ones like smk, tend to be extra noisy too.

Avoid case fillers. Dont need them with good powder choice. Fluffy and bulky are your best friends. Subsonic shooting is unforgiving. Load them to the best of your ability and use good shooting technique or your results will be less than stellar.

Trim and chamfer cases well, use same headstamp, anneal, hand weigh charges, sort bullets if they arent uniform etc. All will HELP a little and add up to decent results.

Some people have luck using mag primers or drilling primer holes out for sub only brass. Ive been satisfied with normal brass fwiw.

In 30 cal if using jacketed, the 30 30 style bullets 150g or 170 fn tend to do well for me, as well as the 160g ftx. Heavy smk do very well since they take up case volume, but they do need a fast twist. The 180 and 220 round noses are worth a look too since they stabilize easier.

Dont bother chasing the lands. Seating far out ruins your already less than ideal loading density. Do make sure to measure and keep ogive oal length uniform.

Dont expect sub moa right off. It can be done, but its very difficult most of the time. If you can get a consistent 2.5 moa at 100 yards youre doing well and probably on the right track. Think of it as big mid priced 22lr accuracy and manage expectations accordingly.

Reactions: SB545
Trailboss for sure. As mentioned above, if you have a serviceable can, hard cast is the way to go cost wise.

Bullet wise honestly might be trial and error to finding one your barrel likes at that speed.

Possible, but will be touchy to get it stable. I used to load 338fed subsonic, 225gr RN. 16" barrel, 12.0gr trailboss, 995fps.

The trick was drilling the flash hole to 2.5mm to get reliable ignition / ES/SD. It was very random until i did that to a few pieces of brass, then it was super consistent. Id expect 308win to be the same.

Thanks guys. Lots of good info here. I'll start looking for components and hopefully start testing some out next month. I have FS land behind the cabin and would love to shoot some 200yd steel back that way.