• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Subsonic-Drilling out flash hole ?

If you are actually seeing primer setback...
Try 5 and see if it makes a difference.

I'm just starting to load subsonic .308 ammo. The ones I have loaded were drilled out and shot fine. Just wondering if it's a waste of time thanks.

It had been widely promoted in the past. 25 years ago it was sort of a super duper clandestine activity. Extremely cool stuff. I never could tell that it made any difference. Consistent powder charges make a BIG DIFFERENCE.

Reactions: jamebeck
It had been widely promoted in the past. 25 years ago it was sort of a super duper clandestine activity. Extremely cool stuff. I never could tell that it made any difference. Consistent powder charges make a BIG DIFFERENCE.

When I was researching 308 sub loads the drilled flash hole always seemed to be tied to using a surplus rifle or pistol powder charge that was minuscule.

Using any of the modern fluffy powders should negate the need for that, I would suspect.

I've never done it, I run magnum primers (which may or may not make a difference) and trail boss and haven't had any issues.

I did a 10 piece drilled versus regular. I saw no difference in standard deviation or velocity. I was using trail boss, 208gr amax and CCI LRP.

I did a 10 piece drilled versus regular. I saw no difference in standard deviation or velocity. I was using trail boss, 208gr amax and CCI LRP.

The drilling out is to get consistent ignition with a shotgun powder in subs. Like doc68, I found zero difference with trailboss drilled or non drilled.

Drilling is a very dangerous thing IF the case is ever used in a standard loading later.

I have loaded subs with trail boss for the last 8 years and have no trouble at all with non drilled cases, any primer... just adjust load for primer brisiance.

My biggest glitch on extreme spreads is neck tensions. After the 5th loading, ES was all over the place. After annealing every 3rd firing, no more problems, and the non drilled cases could be used in sub or super loadings.

Drilled cases are a lot of work not needed with trailboss, and dangerous to accidentally reload with a supersonic load.

Best to you.

I could not tell any difference with the other powders either. Did a lot of testing 15-20 years ago. None whatsoever.