• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 subsonic question

salter70

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
Alabama
Have a friend of mine who decided to build a subsonic 308 rifle instead of 300 Blackout. The question he asked me is have you ever worked up a load for such. I have not and wanted to know if anyone here has and would share their knowledge. A little info on barrel/rifle, it is a McGowen or McGowan Barrel - with a 1 in 8" twist rate, the barrel is presently 22" or so long, on a Remington 700 action. He said he has no problem cutting the barrel down if that will help him get consistent subsonic speeds. Any advice I can pass on to the guy? Thanks in advance.

Re: 308 subsonic question

I've got a load for a my gun running 220 round nose

Rem cases
CCI large rifle primer
220 Hornaday Round Nose
11.5 grains Trail Boss powder
2.8ish AOL

This should get you started, Average Temps and altitude will change the load some.

I get consistent 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 with this load

Re: 308 subsonic question

Singleshot, What length is your barrel? I told him it might be better to cut the barrel back to 18", what do you think?