• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

justinbove

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2011
Marietta, GA
I'm building a new 308 precision bolt action rifle. It's going to be a long range paper puncher. I'm also going to be using my new Surefire SOCOM 7.62 suppressor. My question is which thread pattern is best for muzzle break. M18x1, M18x1.5, 5/8-24. I can do any pattern. I tried searching to see what the advantage of one vs the other but couldn't find anything. The SF muzzle break will be on the rifle till the day it dies. So I don't care about using the most common pattern, just the best. Any gunsmiths that could share their insight on thread patterns would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

I think the reason you can't find any info is because I don't feel it really matters much. You have a slightly larger diameter in 18mm vs 5/8 (15.8mm) which could be argued as stronger but it is not a strength critical application either.
That being said 90% of 308 barrels I do are 5/8x24 with the majority of the others being 9/16x24 (slender profile barrels) I have only done a handful of 18mm.
Personally I would do 5/8", if you ever want to go with a different brake or can you will have wider options.