• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 to 1,667 meters

_RJ_

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
OR, AK
Took my APA do it all rifle .308 out past a mile the other day. It was fun getting other family members out there exposed to it. Got a couple of them hooked on it. The big ding is from 800m and the smaller one to the right is from 1,667m. JC Steel coyote silhouette dimensions 12" tall 24" wide.

2zyk2gy.jpg

Last edited:
Right on man. Does it have enough velocity left on it to pierce the skin? Was your scope maxed out as well as your reticle holdover? What bullet were you using?

Right on man. Does it have enough velocity left on it to pierce the skin? Was your scope maxed out as well as your reticle holdover? What bullet were you using?

If I remember correctly Bullet Flight said at that distance the velocity was around 892fps with 297fpe. My NF F1 was maxed out at 29 mils with a 5 mil hod over. I'm pretty sure my scope base is the APA 30 MOA. I was just using some left over Nosler Match Grade 168gr Custom Competition, I normally shoot CORBON 175 smk's.

I tried to take my 308 to 1,400 yards and my 175 SMK's were not stable and all over the place. Glad to see you got there. Don't know why mine shit the bed. Any ideas. 175 SMK, 43.8 grains of Varget , lapua brass. 20 inch rem700 5R

I tried to take my 308 to 1,400 yards and my 175 SMK's were not stable and all over the place. Glad to see you got there. Don't know why mine shit the bed. Any ideas. 175 SMK, 43.8 grains of Varget , lapua brass. 20 inch rem700 5R

I'll be honest. There are way more qualified people on here to help you with that. My barrel is 22" and 1-11 twist. It shoots 175's very well, as a matter of fact it shoots everything I put through it well.

Sorry, guys, but any .308-fired projectile not rocket-assisted is merely falling from the sky at 1,400 and beyond. Although I appreciate your hit on steel at that range, to do it with repeatability or reliability would be nearly impossible.

Great shot

Agreed on falling from the sky. But it is doable. Im not qualified to speculate why my rifle will do it, but maybe the slower push from imr powder lets it be stable way past transpnic. My shooter program has my 178 amax at 788 fps out there

It's fun to mess around at that distance, but obviously the 308 is NOT a ELR cartridge; still fun though. I wouldn't spend too much time in breaking down the data. If you want to do some damage at ELR go with at least a 300.

Sorry, guys, but any .308-fired projectile not rocket-assisted is merely falling from the sky at 1,400 and beyond. Although I appreciate your hit on steel at that range, to do it with repeatability or reliability would be nearly impossible.

Great shot

That's what I thought. Just checking. Definitely not with my load.

1 in 11.25 twist will like the 168 Gr ammo, the 1 in 10 twist will do great with 175 gr ammo.

Agreed on falling from the sky. But it is doable. Im not qualified to speculate why my rifle will do it, but maybe the slower push from imr powder lets it be stable way past transpnic. My shooter program has my 178 amax at 788 fps out there

What imr powder u using?

sounds like a fun day! so how many shots did you get to take at 1600+ range? I agree with what everyone has said about it not being a consistent cartridge for that distance obviously, but there's nothing wrong with some fun! that range is especially far considering the elevation you noted, well done!

beautiful rifle as well.

sounds like a fun day! so how many shots did you get to take at 1600+ range? I agree with what everyone has said about it not being a consistent cartridge for that distance obviously, but there's nothing wrong with some fun! that range is especially far considering the elevation you noted, well done!

beautiful rifle as well.

It took 6 shots for me to hit the target. After that I was trying to get different family members to hit at that distance. Needless to say we ran out of ammo with no more hits for the day. The target stand was made of 4x4 wood, and when we ended the day there were a couple of bullets stuck in the wood and some passed through.

that'll work though! pretty exciting for the family to shoot that distance no doubt. well done