• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 308 to 300 WSM

dareposte

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
www.dop3.com
So I have a spare 308 on the rack, a 26" Shilen barrel and a nice target stock. I never shoot it because I have a 20" that I prefer.

I got to thinking that there shouldn't be any reason I couldn't re-chamber it to a 300wsm and have a nice magnum rifle to play with...

So ream out the chamber and have someone open up the bolt face, anything else I'm missing?

Any recommendations for a good smith who could do this for me? And a ballpark cost what am I looking at?

Re: 308 to 300 WSM

You should try and find a spare bolt for a WSM, occassionally they come up for sale, then you could always go back to a standard caliber in that rifle. I am not 100% familiar with the WSM OAL, but you might have to have the barrel set back a turn. Then you will need to fiddle with the feeding lips to get the rounds to sit high enough for the bolt to catch them...

But basically yes, the two things you stated are the major concerns, then the feeding.

Dave