• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Varmint Loads

crowsnest2002

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2007
Pennsylvania
I was just inquiring if any of you have used your .308 for some varmint hunting. I was looking at the 125grn Speer TNT's and I was thinking that my LTR would make a nice walking varmint rifle
grin.gif
I was just wondering if any of you have good success with the 110grns - 125grns. I have my own reloading stuff so pretty much I can load what I want and shoot it right after I load it. So if you have any comments or suggestions on that range I'm open for them.

The reason I'm debating using my ltr is because I'm more of a walking varminter and my 22-250 vls may be accurate, but its a pain to walk around all day with.

Thanks again
Barry

Re: .308 Varmint Loads

I probably could have moved this into the reload page lol I'm a dumb @$$

Admin if you could move it I'd appreciate it...

Never tried 110's but have shot a few 125 Noslers and they will do a fine job on p-dogs. Accuracy was OK but not as good as 168 gr A-max's, and since that is what I shoot the most of that's mainly what I used. The sod poodles don't really know the difference
wink.gif
Economical? No not really...but very effective. An Ar-15 and the .308 along with a .300WM were my only options the first time I got a chance to go, so I took what I had.

Good thread this was also something I was wondering about I am currentley using 155 hpbt smk palma matches with 42. grains of IMR4895 and some 168 hpbt smk's with 43.5 of IMR 4895 BUT I have some land to hunt squirrels and coyotes on and I would like to try a lighter load...

Well my rifle shoots 165 Sierra Gameking HP's better than the 168's, but I was looking for something with a little more explosiveness, cause thats half the fun. Not to mention though, i've tried the heavier bullets and they seem to just go in and out and not cause the drastic reaction I was looking for.

From what I've researched I can probably get 125grn TNT's to go around 3,000fps out of my ltr. Unfortunately I'm not around my reloading manuals right now, or for the next few months for that matter.
frown.gif

So whatever you guys can look up and post or have from experience I can take notes for when I get home again.

Thanks
Barry

Try the Sierra 110 gr HPs. Plenty accurate in my .308s

For example:

The load was:
48 grains of BLC2
CCI 250 primer
Sierra 110 HP
1X fired (annealed, deburred, trimmed, chamfored.)
2.265" COAL

I shot them all (42) alternating between my Savage Model 10 sporter and Rem. SPS. The exercise was to test whether I had over cooked my BHA brass in my first annealing experiment as well as try out some 37 year old CCI 250 primers given to me 4 years ago!

The following target was shot with the SPS.

Target13-29.jpg
[/quote]

What are you trying to achieve?

I use my PSS in .308 for coyote's on occasion. I started using 168gr SMK's and thought that I needed to try something more "Fur friendly" as the SMK's did quite the number on them. I tried the Sierra 110gr Varminter and the Hornady 110gr V-Max and found out that .308 and fur friendly don't belong in the same sentence. Both the 110gr Varminter and the V-Max gave me exits that I could stick both fists into (only a very small exageration). So I switched back to the SMK's and learned to sew, as it wasn't half as bad as the other two projectiles.

If you want to blow shit up... Either the 110gr Sierra Varminter or the Hornady 110gr V-Max is the ticket.

Chupa

Isn't there a round called "TNT" or something thats supposed to F shit up???

Sadly, I haven't shot at a game animal in almost 30 years. I know, priorities askew...

I had these 110 grain Sierras for years and was itching to try them. So with my stock of mystery primers and newbie annealed cases. I thought them a good subject for experimentation.

I don't have a chronograph so velocity is a guess. But they were accurate enough and I have no doubt some critters could be monumentally terminated with them.

I was looking for something in the 125grn area. I've heard people having good results accuracy wise with these speer 125's. Also I'm using them on groundhogs and the occasional fox/ coyote pest. Not really out to save fur in any way. I just want positive confirmed kills for the land owners.

110 Vmax and AA2460 will develop about 3200fps and put the splat in whatever you want. As mentioned fist sized exits are the norm and they are pleny explosive to use on ground squirrels. Short range accuracy is on par with any loads but they start dropping pretty quick past 300.

Last weekend I shot them along side some Berger 155.5 and the Bergers were just poking through while the Vmax was mayhem.

I used the Speer 125 TNTs a few years back for practice\plinking rounds and still keep a bunch on hand. They are very accurate in my 26" PSS loaded to about 3,000 fps in Milsurp brass with WCC 844 (45.5 - 46.0gr) Milsurp powder (about like Win 748 or H335) or 3,100 fps with AA2460 (46.0gr). I also used commercial brass and BL-C2 (50.0-51.0gr) with some Moly coated bullets.

I found the 125 TNTs to be accurate with a number of powders, usually those with relatively fast burning rates like AA2200 (data powder) and AA2015 as well the above. Also the ogive closely matched my 168 SMKs and loaded rounds were difficult to distinguish from eachother.

I tried the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips but they were not as accurate in my stick as the Speer TNTs - maybe because they were so far off the lands when seated. I do get good results from the Nosler 155 and 168 competition bullets. YMMV.

Good shooting! Bob

I worked up this load:

308 Win
Factory 700 VS barrel
1/12 twist
20.5" BBL
WW brass
CCI 200
---------------------------

110 VMax, Moly'd
2.75" OAL
AA2230C
52gr - 3190 fps
53gr - 3250 fps
54gr - 3300 fps
55gr - 3345 fps, slightly stick bolt

Sierra 125 sp have been very accurate for me in every thing from a 308 to a 300 Win Mag.

I just tried out some 125 grain speer "TNT's" with 42.5 grains of IMR 4895 and I was not impressed by the accuracy I got at best a 3/4 inch group but Ill try some different weights and what not... It really does do a number on varmint though the squirrel I shot was ripped in half and guts and all other parts went flying...