• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 308 vs. 243win

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
I need some advice. I am trying to choose between a 308 and a 243. Whatever one I choose I would shoot a good match bullet(SMK or Berger VLD probably). My goal is to shoot from 100 yards to 1000 yards with precision. Which do you reccommend and please one or maybe two reasons why. Thanks in advance.

Re: 308 vs. 243win

If your going to compete in Tac matches .243 hands down with the Dtac bullets its a winner.If its for alot of personal shooting stick with 308.You will get 4x the barrel life and it makes you read the wind better.

Theres only two things the 308 does better.
1 Barrel Life
2 Cost of Ammo

Other than that the 243 smokes it in everything else!
(Target Shooting only that is)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Theres only two things the 308 does better.
1 Barrel Life
2 Cost of Ammo

(Target Shooting only that is) </div></div>
Depends on which bullet, but the 243 is normally less expensive when reloading.

If your Budget makes it possible than get a Surgeon or Badger action and get both a .308 and a .243 barrel. That's my plan anyway.

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Theres only two things the 308 does better.
1 Barrel Life
2 Cost of Ammo

</div></div>

3. Putting more lead down range (per shot)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Theres only two things the 308 does better.
1 Barrel Life
2 Cost of Ammo

(Target Shooting only that is) </div></div>
Depends on which bullet, but the 243 is normally less expensive when reloading. </div></div>

243 brass is more exspensive than 308 brass(Lapua)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Theres only two things the 308 does better.
1 Barrel Life
2 Cost of Ammo

</div></div>

3. Putting more lead down range (per shot) </div></div>

Yes more lead, but less energy at 1k, per JBM, 115@3000 fps = 631ftpds of energy 175@2700 fps = 588ftpds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes more lead, but less energy at 1k, per JBM, 115@3000 fps = 631ftpds of energy 175@2700 fps = 588ftpds</div></div>

Run the numbers on 155 Scenars, they are essentially equal at 1K.

243 less recoil and does more damage to coyotes.

I believe that they are both good choices. I wouldn't hessitate to hunt with either caliber if that is also one of the purposes that this rifle maybe tasked with. I would consider the barrel life issue though ( Me personally.) Everyone knows what the 308 will do since it is tried and true and been put thru the hell and still comes out strong.. Not perfect but nothing is....Is it? Good luck with your choices......SmokeRolls

I really like the idea of having a 308 because I can shoot if for a long time before having to replace anything. I am torn because I have all this brand new .243 stuff that I would have to replace with the same in 308. I would probably lose a bit of money on the deal. LOL oh well I might have to suck it up and learn a tough lesson. eat a couple hundred dollars now to save money later.

Why not shoot the 243 as is for now, and then you can figure out what you want when you burn the barrel out...

243. Its better because its faster. When you wear out the barrel, re-barrel the action in 308 and see for your self.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes more lead, but less energy at 1k, per JBM, 115@3000 fps = 631ftpds of energy 175@2700 fps = 588ftpds</div></div>
This is not what you can compare, because 115 in .243 is heavy bullet, but 175 in .308 is light mid weight bullet

And when you are comparing extreme speed 3000fps of 115, you have to comapre it with extreme speed of 175, which is from same barrel length around 2800fps

3000fps with the 115 is not extreme speed with the .243 win, guy are getting 3150fps so again the .243 wins for velocity, wind bucking and flatness.

308 wud be my last choice for just about anything

To many other cals just as versatile with way better ballistics

Any 6, 6.5, 7mm wud be a better IMHO

The only thing a 308 has going for it over a 243, is the availability of accurate factory ammo IMO.

If you are going to reload, go for the 243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like the idea of having a 308 because I can shoot if for a long time before having to replace anything. I am torn because I have all this brand new .243 stuff that I would have to replace with the same in 308. I would probably lose a bit of money on the deal. LOL oh well I might have to suck it up and learn a tough lesson. eat a couple hundred dollars now to save money later. </div></div>
I didn't realize that you already had the supplies and components for the 243....If that is the case just reload and shoot....Grass is not always greener on the other side. We as men always want what we don't have.. Be happy with what you have and just shoot to your hearts content. The 243 will do you well.......SmokeRolls

With the exception of RADCUSTOM, who can win a match with an unfamiliar gun, others of us have to practice and to be really good, practice alot. A 308 does not recoil heavy but its more than a 243. Recoil is not a friend; eventually, many shooters begin anticipating trigger release. This might mean one will shoot better, longer, a 243 versus a 308.
I have a switch barrel 6.5 / 308. The 6.5 gets shot way mo, and it shoots mo betta too.

If you ever want to shoot F-class TR than it is .308 or .223.
F-open, .243 will work.

I'm in the camp of why just have one when you can have both for twice the price.

Might not want to limit yourself to just .243, another 6mm or 6.5 might do you a better job.

Well...

6 BR, 6 Dasher would be worth a look.

6.5X47L is also worth a look.
All these will give you better barrel life than the 243.

I for one think the .308 is the work horse can't go wrong versatility cartridge.

If you have specifics in mind you need to choose a caliber/cartridge specific.

Line out what your use is. Then decide.

food for thought ( copied from another site )

The 6BR -- What Does It Offer the Tactical Shooter?

Is the 6BR a good choice for tactical shooting? I think so. First of all, consider that many police "sniper" rifles are chambered in .223 Rem. Well, the 6BR beats that cartridge hands down in every respect (accuracy, energy, and long-range performance) except magazine feeding. Moreover, I've proven that, with a few simple modifications, 6BRs CAN mag-feed reliably. Next, compared to the venerable .308 Win, how does the 6BR stack up? In the "plus" column, the 6BR offers great accuracy, low recoil (55% less than a .308), high BC bullets, and the best factory ammo you can buy. The 6BR stays supersonic longer than the .308, it has a flatter trajectory than the .308, and its retained energy at 800-1000 yards is within 15% of a 168gr .308. In the "minus" column, when compared to the .308, the 6BR has much less energy at short ranges, there is no special purpose ammo (tracers, armor-piercing), and the short round makes it difficult to feed in most rifles. But again, that is just a matter of re-engineering the feeding system. There are plenty of 300m competition rifles that feed 6BR cartridges from magazine flawlessly.

Key factors, in my view, are the 6BR's low recoil and dramatically lessened bipod hop and muzzle movement. (Watch that Video to see for yourself.) Set a 6BR up with a good muzzle brake or suppressor and you can see your shot impact. That is very important for a real sniper engaging real targets. Being able to see bullet impact gives you immediate feedback, so you can correct for your second shot if necessary. When you combine the ability to see bullet impact with the intrinsic accuracy of the 6BR, you produce, in my opinion, a "better mousetrap".

But what about down-range energy? Plug the numbers in your ballistic program for both realistic .308 Win and 6BR loads and the difference narrows as distances increase. For example, at 800 yards, a 168gr SMK, launched from a .308 with 2700 fps muzzle velocity, has 769 ft-lbs of retained energy. In comparison, a 107gr SMK, launched at 2850 fps from a 6BR, has 665 ft-lbs of retained energy at 800 yards. That's only 13.5% less! (Calculations from Point-Blank ballistics software.) So let me conclude, I'm not saying the 6BR is "better" than a .308 Win, but I do believe the 6BR deserves a place in the tactical arsenal.

In my mind and most average people - the 6BR is a 'Wildcat" or experimental round.

Now I ralize it is NOT as it has history and has been proven -but that's a hell of a stereotype to overcome - generally what I've seen is anything that shoots a 6BR is rather expensive....

I've also heard there's a reason all the BR guys use the 6BR...

I think for simplicity he should stick to a 308 just because the 6BR is not an entry level persons round...

Practice what you will use...

That's just my opinion though...don't see many people shooting it around here but Russ Haydon has all the supplies for it...so I know someone's buying it!!

Artic,

6BR is simple... overly actually.

As of late there have been all kinds of rifles chambered in the 6BR. Hunting, Tactical and of course BR.

It is hard not make it shoot inaccurately.

Give it a looksee...

go to 6mmbr.com you'll be pleasantly surprised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Artic,

6BR is simple... overly actually.

As of late there have been all kinds of rifles chambered in the 6BR. Hunting, Tactical and of course BR.

It is hard not make it shoot inaccurately.

Give it a looksee...

go to 6mmbr.com you'll be pleasantly surprised.
</div></div>

I don't doubt all of that - but my only point is - go to sportsmans warehouse, wal-mart, big-5, any store they sell rifles - where's the 6BR? It's not - it's a great round , just not as culturely popular like the 308 or even the 223...

But I bet you can get ammo for it, unlike the 223!!!

Can the 6BR push a 115 DTAC at 3100fps or even an easy 3000fps like the .243?

What about brass prices? Per 100 prices, Lapua 6mmBR $80 and Rem $65. Winchester .243 $39, which is excellent brass and makes very accurate ammo.

Doesn't get much simpler than the .243. Great performance, cheap components and can be bought off the shelf in a pinch. I am sure the 6mmBR is a very good round but not as simple as the .243.

I have read plenty on the 6mmBR also so you know. I have also shot the .243 quite a bit and know what it is capable of.

I just shot...and won too
laugh.gif
...in a 1000yrd match. Almost all the rifles where 6mm or 6.5mm variants. There were a couple of guys shooting .308's. I was working the pits in the last 2 relays....the .308's where having a horrible time in the wind. In fact a few only put one round on target.

I also have some .243's. I have sold all my .308's and just sold all my reloading supplies for .308 to hide members. I only punch paper with my rifles and hunt coyotes....I find the .243 really hard to beat fro what I do with them.

I just bought a Savage single shot and am building a budget 600-1000yrd rifle out of it. Ordered a .243 barrel from McGowen with a 1:7 twist. I have a bunch of 105,107,and 115's so I am set.

As for barrel life...keep the carbon build up down by good cleaning practice and you might be surprised at the barrel life you can get out it...as good as a .308? Probably not, but then again I go through rifles pretty fast anyways.

6mmBR is becoming more mainstream every day. Heck...even Savage is selling one...there were a couple of guys at this last 1000yrd match I shot in using out of the box Savage 6mmBR's and doing really well with them.

Take care,Stan

Rob,

I hear what you are saying.

How many places sell DTAC's? How many reloads do you get from Win vs Lapua?
I gotta say I am a Win brass whore though...

If you want speed and better barrel life 6X47 Lapua.

then there's the 6 dasher... I'm jus' sayin'
wink.gif

There are a few places but getting drect from Tubb is easiest.

I am on my 5th reload with my Win brass and the 115s at 3000fps but honestly I will probably lose all the brass before it wears out.

Moon's .243 sending the 115s out at 3100fps was still shooting great at 3300 rounds. Won the 1000 yard side match at the SHC. If I get that many I will be happy but I'm shooitng mine 100fps slower so I'm guessing it will be better.

I like to KISS so the .243 will give me everything I want and need from a 6mm.

The question infers that 1000yd will be a relatively new experience for you. I would say that in such an instance, going with 'the standard' (i.e. the .308) has advantages.

As far as brass is concerned; yes, Lapua is nice, but so is Winchester, and until you reach the point where small things are making up most of the differences, the expense of buying Lapua may not be all that cost effective. Learn to shoot, then learn to handload, then learn to handload for match applications. That way, the improvements and the value behind them will make better sense.

Once you've achieved this level of expertise, you're ready to explore the less standard approaches and chamberings. the .308's case capacity and dimensions make switching over to the .243, .260, or 7-08 pretty simple; and by then you'll probably be better equipped to make a valid choice.

Actually they're all good choices, with my opinion favoring the .260 and 7-08 as being the most efficient applications of the basic .308 case's capacity.

But that's just my own personal preferences speaking, and there's no reason at all why the .243 can't be an outstanding choice as well.