• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 vs 6gt

fvalmostthere

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
At this point I have been shooting prs for a year and have burned out a 6.5 creed barrel and swapped over to 6gt. I am wondering if it would be a better option to buy a 308 barreled action to put in my comp rig to train with or just keep training with my 6gt.

308 would give me more recoiled and wind to work through but their is the theory of fear the man with one gun. Do I just practice and get really good with my comp setup or go 308 to work on fundamentals and wind?

Cheapest way is to get another barrel for your action and a wrench/vice.

Use your old 6.5 barrel or get a .308 barrel. Shoot 1” dots @ 100yds off barricade. When you can do that on command, then worry about training at longer distances and with wind. If you get good at that, you’ll place pretty high in any match without practicing further.

Most people don’t lose matches because they aren’t good at wind. They lose due to other things before the wind even comes into play.

I bought a 308 barrel, and I switch to my 308 for all my practice. It keeps my fundamentals solid and the ammo is cheaper, and the barrel lasts a very long time. I spent 2 days training on a 308, then switched to a 6GT for 2 other days, and man the 6GT days were such a breeze.

Never understood why people “trained” with .223s. If anything, it makes you more susceptible to the recoil on your comp gun. I love my .223 bolt, but I don’t look at it as a great trainer.

Training with a .308 makes a lot of sense, and it will certainly make your GT feel very tame by comparison. Not to mention, any arguments that can be made about .223 requiring you to learn wind, etc. can be made for .308, if not more so.

My 308 is a Punishing Bastard(no brake). I shoot more 223 than anything. I would get a cheap 6gt barrel for practice. Criterion is 300$, headspace it to match your other rifle.

Never understood why people “trained” with .223s. If anything, it makes you more susceptible to the recoil on your comp gun. I love my .223 bolt, but I don’t look at it as a great trainer.

Training with a .308 makes a lot of sense, and it will certainly make your GT feel very tame by comparison. Not to mention, any arguments that can be made about .223 requiring you to learn wind, etc. can be made for .308, if not more so.

I have a 223 trainer. Recoil management is not an issue between a 223 that has next to nothing recoil, and a comp gun that has next to nothing recoil.

Reactions: lash
I have both .223 and .308 and a .22

Just like in other sports/games you use different equipment to train for different things. They all have their uses and allow me to break training down into very specific tasks.

You don’t train for a triathlon by running a triathlon every day. You work on different things.

In a prs match you’ll be tested in several skill areas. So breaking them down into area to focus is going to be the best approach.

Reactions: Gulep001
I have both .223 and .308 and a .22

Just like in other sports/games you use different equipment to train for different things. They all have their uses and allow me to break training down into very specific tasks.

You don’t train for a triathlon by running a triathlon every day. You work on different things.

In a prs match you’ll be tested in several skill areas. So breaking them down into area to focus is going to be the best approach.

Bingo..

I do barricade training with my 22LR at 200 yards. I do barricade, timed target transitions, and dot drills with my 223, all at <500 yards. I only shoot my comp gun in practice for wind..

A 308 is half again more expensive to shoot than my 223, and doesnt even remotely recoil like my comp gun. It's a different dynamic entirely..

Last edited:
Bingo..

I do barricade training with my 22LR at 200 yards. I do barricade, timed target transitions, and dot drills with my 223, all at <500 yards. I only shoot my comp gun in practice for wind..

A 308 is half again more expensive to shoot than my 223, and doesnt even remotely recoil like my comp gun. It's a different dynamic entirely..

I equate .308 to hanging a weight on a bat.

Building positions solid enough to spot shots with .308 makes 6mm and 224 stuff seem easy. So I like using the .308 for stuff as well.

Reactions: Birddog6424