• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 W case capacity

Re: 308 W case capacity

Anyone have a list of water capacities? I realize that's diff from rifle to rifle and how much you bump, but just talking ballpark.

Pretty close to what I see in LC. Thanks Shane!

You ever shoot an Lapua brass?

55.7-55.8 for Lapua (in my guns), 57.1 for Winchester

That might be something worth putting together and pinning, or adding to the .308 load thread - a list of case capacities of all the commonly available brass - Remington, Federal, Norma, Black Hills, Nosler, etc. I realize some of these are duplicates (made by the same company), but the question seems to come up often enough...

Reactions: lee8sec

Hrm, Lapua has a tad less than even LC eh?

Not wanting to make a mess with water I do it using fine powder. Results are very repeatable.

Capacity is determined by filling a sized, primed and trimmed cases with H335 as follows and weighing the charge:

1. Using a Lee dipper of the largest that will not overfill, pour powder slowly down the side of the funnel into the case.
2. Tap the case base lightly on the table three times to settle powder.
3. Fill the rest of the way and tap gently again three times.
4. Hold the case over the can, fill to overflowing, and wipe level with card.
5. Pour charge into pan to weigh averaging at least five cases.

Case Charge Percent

RP 59.1 1.00
WW 58.5 0.99
LC 57.5 0.97
Federal 57.3 0.97
LC Match 57.1 0.97
WRA Mil 57.1 0.97

Most of my military cases are quite old dated back to the early 70's.

Sherlok