• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 308 Win, 178 Amax, RE-15, 450 yards, New scope

mluning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2007
Houston Texas USA
Well I finally got the chance to mount up my new IOR 3.5-18x50 on my Rem 700P and stretch its legs out to 450 yards.

photo1.jpg

My Gun:
Rem 700P 308 win 26" 1:12"
Skim bedded
Stock trigger adjusted w/ replaced spring
Badger Bolt Knob
Badger 20moa base
IOR Vtac 35mm low rings

My Load:
178 Hornady AMAX
Hornady Match Brass
45.6 gr Reloader 15
CCI BR2 Primers
COAL ~2.825" +/- .005"
Base to Ogive (RCBS Precision Mic) ~2.187"

10 Shots - 15 ft. Chrony:
1 - 2784 6 - 2740
2 - 2758 7 - 2760
3 - 2770 8 - 2752
4 - 2771 9 - 2752
5 - 2744 10 - 2754

AVG: 2757.7
ES: 14
SD: 14

Time - 1806
Temp - 103 F
Wind - 8-11 mph E
Pres - 29.85 Hg
Hum - 30%
Elevation - 830 ft

First group to check zero at 100 yards, cold bore shot 2nd from right.
photo.jpg

First group at 450 yards - 2.5 mil
photo3.jpg

Second
photo4.jpg

Third
photo5.jpg

My Thoughts:
Since I do not own a Kestrel or a range finder, I was happy I was able to range my target board (48") with the scope and get a ballpark distance to get on paper with my first shot. I do however have the Ballistic: FTE app on my iPhone which is a great tool to have. I was able to use its GPS atmospheric conditions to get an estimation and my drop at 450 yds. What has me scratching my head is that ever since I bought this gun I've been having flyers with my hand loads. All these groups have at least one flyer. Even in 2008 when I was shooting same load at 300 yards I got a flyer.

photo1-1.jpg

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I do know my shooting technique is not perfect and my followups sometimes bounce the gun to the left a little. Practice makes perfect, right?

I appreciate y'all taking the time to read this thread, and any help on the flyers would be appreciated.

Re: 308 Win, 178 Amax, RE-15, 450 yards, New scope

curious as to what type of mat is that?

Looks like pretty good shooting to me! If a guy was to get picky (which I know we all are), I would say the horizantal string on the first target could be trigger control or parralax. The targets at distance seem to have more vertical. Possibly breath control, or parralax. But still looks pretty good to me.

I agree. Good shooting. You might want to try dry firing to see if there's any perceptible movement at or immediately prior to the trigger's release. If so, you may have a minor trigger control or follow-through issue.

HRF

You say the flyers are only with your handloads? What happens when you shoot at the same distance using factory match say black hills or FGMM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like pretty good shooting to me! If a guy was to get picky (which I know we all are), I would say the horizantal string on the first target could be trigger control or parralax. The targets at distance seem to have more vertical. Possibly breath control, or parralax. But still looks pretty good to me.</div></div>
I'm not use to the parralax knob on this IOR yet. It's very coarse and short adjustment, so it's somewhat hard to get it dialed in precise. I'll just have to play with it more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You say the flyers are only with your handloads? What happens when you shoot at the same distance using factory match say black hills or FGMM?</div></div>
Before I started reloading I went through 200 rounds of 175 FGGM. I never noticed any flyers with them. Group sizes were closer to MOA groups.

I went out to 650 yards the other day and this was one of the groups I got.
It's hard to read the OT display but it says:
Max Spread - 0.739 MOA
Avg to Center - 0.208 MOA
Group Width - 3.392"
Group Height - 3.710"

178amaxNEW650OT2.jpg

From everything Ive readm many times fliers are caused by either brass prep or sometimes primer combinations. Try a different primer and see if that helps the amount of flyers.

As far as brass prep are you uniforming the pockets and flash holes? The can sometimes create a flyer.

If your interested buy the book 'handloading for competition' by Zediker. It has more information than you will ever need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From everything Ive readm many times fliers are caused by either brass prep or sometimes primer combinations. Try a different primer and see if that helps the amount of flyers.

As far as brass prep are you uniforming the pockets and flash holes? The can sometimes create a flyer.

If your interested buy the book 'handloading for competition' by Zediker. It has more information than you will ever need.</div></div>
I am on my 5th reload cycle on the brass. Every other reload I will uniform and clean primer pockets. I assume I'm getting close to the end of my brass life and the neck tensions are starting to get more inconsistent?