• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 win 200gr+ with 6.5 staball?? Impressive speeds!

B Man

Little Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
South side of Big River
Ran across this reading some forums the other night. It’s not my test but I’m going to add it in here to see if anyone else has seen this. If legit I WILL be trying it in my 20” barrel AR. Anyone with quick load to verify anything?

Hope I haven’t broken a rule sharing more less doing it to see if anyone here has any more results similar?

D72A37B0-2489-4014-8442-D45C0F49C7E2.png

Reactions: FredHammer
Interesting..
I’m thinking about running a 208 in a 8 twist 26”. Wonder if there’s any room left in the case to benefit from hex boron nitride.

Anyone want to donate some Staball 6.5 for research purposes….? 😁. I have about 100 208 amax’s I could use for a velocity test.

Was hoping someone here had tried it. I know 308 isn’t all the talk anymore LR but a 208 eld bullet with a .690 g1 bc at 2500-2600 has some serious sex appeal to it.

I have seen some of this guys posts and he claims to get really fast velocities with different
308 rifles. Cant say one way or another but the velocities seem too high for normal SAAMI pressures.

ARs dont have the best case head support so I would be wary of pushing speed in a gasser.

A 225 ELDM in a .308 case? In an AR 10?

Did he have the base of the bullet backed up to the flash hole?

Mike

Reactions: Kushiwah
He claims he is a machinist and he probably is but he cuts really long throats on 308 chambers
and uses long barrels to get speed.

Most likely he used a throater to lengthen the throat of a large frame gaser and is single loading.

1679069175098.png

Why not try 250 A-Tips? In a 24" bolt gun you can still get 2100 fps. Starts to feel like a scaled down .510 Whisper.

.308 Fury???

His other post- My experience only, for informational purposes not a recommendation...my maximum in my rifles in my chambers, with my loading practices 208 Eldm to 51.0 grains 6.5 Staball in all 3 rifles and 3 brass types COAL 2.290" The 225 grain 49.4 grains 6.5 Staball max with 225 gr ELDM 3.035" COAL in all 3 rifles. The AR 10 must have an adjustable gas block...I made the throat slightly longer...had single digit S/D and one 5 shot group .314"

You push the bullet out as far as it will go in a 308 case then lengthen the throat like Weatherby so you get more room in the boiler.
This guy has a machine shop at home so if it dont work cut 2" off and start again.
And he is probably exceeding normal 308 pressures.

You push the bullet out as far as it will go in a 308 case then lengthen the throat like Weatherby so you get more room in the boiler.
This guy has a machine shop at home so if it dont work cut 2" off and start again.
And he is probably exceeding normal 308 pressures.
Very possible. But I remember when sone on here started testing RL17 with heavies. Got pretty interesting.

buddy of mine loads 220gn Sierras in his 308 AR10 with 26" barrel. Runs them at like 2550-2600, and shoots them to 1 mile. Pretty funny watching him roast on other people with a 308. I love watching the expressions on the line, as he keeps connecting at 1760yds. I dont remember the exact loading specs, but its similiar. Slower 6.5 creed powder, big heavy 308, compressed load, high quality brass (LC/Lapua/Alpha/etc), and some minor throat adjustments to load the longer bullet. I know he doesn't single load them either. Pretty much max mag length, that still allows feeding

buddy of mine loads 220gn Sierras in his 308 AR10 with 26" barrel. Runs them at like 2550-2600, and shoots them to 1 mile. Pretty funny watching him roast on other people with a 308. I love watching the expressions on the line, as he keeps connecting at 1760yds. I dont remember the exact loading specs, but its similiar. Slower 6.5 creed powder, big heavy 308, compressed load, high quality brass (LC/Lapua/Alpha/etc), and some minor throat adjustments to load the longer bullet. I know he doesn't single load them either. Pretty much max mag length, that still allows feeding
Be nice to know what he’s loading. For curiosity